My Picky Eater has proclaimed that all Homemade Chicken Taquitos are his. He is not sharing! Haha…
It’s unfortunately true as he will eat a pan all by himself if I don’t carefully pull some aside.
Making Homemade Chicken Taquitos is quick and easy, especially using shredded chicken that you’ve made earlier for an easy meal prep.
But even if you make your shredded chicken now, this recipe is a cinch to throw together.
Psst: Here is a link to my Instant Pot Recipe to make Shredded Chicken. It’s a cinch!
6 Servings | Ready in 30 minutes | Good for Dinner | 6qt Instant Pot
I have always found that I enjoy taquitos. But of course, made fresh they are wonderful.
When made with a corn tortilla, these Homemade Chicken Taquitos are Gluten Free as well.
Now some might argue that Taquitos are only made with corn tortillas. We prefer both options. So you decide what’s best for you!
What is a Taquito?
A Taquito is simply put, a rolled tortilla and can be filled with a variety meats and cheeses.
These are small when rolled and can be fried or baked. They can also be air fried too!
Eaten easily in your hands and dipping into Salsa, Sour Cream, and even a guacamole.
How to make Shredded Chicken
This recipe calls for 3 cups of Shredded Chicken, Making Shredded Chicken in your Instant Pot is quick and easy.
- Place 1 cup of broth or water in your instant pot and place 2-3 large Chicken Breasts.
- Add Salt and Pepper and 2 tsp of crushed garlic.
- Set your instant Pot to 15 minutes will a full natural release.
- When the pin drops remove chicken and quickly shred with 2 forks while it’s hot.
- You are ready to add your chicken into a variety of meals or freeze for later use.
What can I serve Chicken Taquitos with?
If my Picky Eater son doesn’t just devour the entire pan, I like to dip Chicken Taquitos into a traditional salsa dip and make Spanish Rice on the side.
There really isn’t a bad combination when it comes to Mexican Food.
What kind of Tortilla should I use?
Making Taquitos I prefer the taco size tortilla, however you can also use the Street Taco Sized tortilla as well.
It’s important to remember that a Taquito is a thin rolled taco, so meats and cheeses placed inside should be spread thin for best results.
I use both a corn tortilla and a flour tortilla depending on our moods. Using a corn tortilla will make this a Gluten Free Recipe. If using gluten free corn tortillas of course.
How do I keep Corn Tortillas from Cracking when making Taquitos?
We all hate when our tortillas crack. A simple trick is to heat up the tortilla. I heat a skillet over medium heat and lay a few tortillas on the pan. They only need a few moments to heat I quickly pull them off, fill with meat and roll while hot.
Why are my Corn Tortillas Breaking?
This question is similar to the previous question but let me add that adding some oil brushed on top helps to keep the tortilla moist so it won’t crack of break.
Are Flautas like Taquitos?
They are very similar. It’s said that Flautas are made with larger tortillas where taquitos are made with smaller taco sized tortillas. Floutas are traditionally made with flour tortillas where Taquitos an be made with either.
What’s the Difference between a Taquito and a Rolled Taco?
We are really splitting hairs here. A Taquito is a thin rolled taco of meats where a Rolled Taco is thicker and often filled with rice or beans with meat too. Really, they are so similar I like to think they are the same.
Can you Freeze Taquitos?
Of course you can. Roll them up and freeze individually or all together. Thaw and cook in the over or on the stove over medium high heat until fully cooked.
How to reheat Taquitos
The easy answer is in the microwave. However, I prefer to reheat taquitos on the stove over medium/high heat in a skillet. You can add a little olive oil to the pan or Pam Spray. Turn as necessary until crispy and hot
While the taquito is regarded by many as a Mexican dish, it is believed that it was invented in the United States. Who knew?!?
Want to Save this Recipe for Later?
Looking for more great Recipes?
- Chicken Taquito Enchilada
- Tomatillo Salsa
- Sweet Corn Cakes
- Easy Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken Fajita Sliders
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
- BBQ Chicken Tostada
- Sweet Salsa Chicken Salad
- Ground Turkey Tacos
- Spanish Rice
- Watermelon Salsa
- 3 Cup Shredded Chicken about 2 large chicken breasts
- 6 oz Cream Cheese
- 1/2 Cup+ Can Rotel Tomatoes with liquid
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Cup Mexican Blend Cheese
- 10-12 to rtillas
- 2 TBS Butter melted
- 1/4 Cup Chicken Broth*optional
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Chicken:
- Place 1 cup water in Instant Pot
- Place 2-3 Chicken Breasts or 8-10 Chicken Tenders in Instant Pot
- Sprinkle with Salt and Pepper
- Add 1 Tbs Crushed Garlic
- Set Instant Pot to Manual High (Pressure Cook) for 15 Minutes with a 15 Minute Natural Release
- Remove Chicken and shred
- Chicken Taquitos:
- In a bowl add 3 cups shredded chicken
- Add Seasonings (Cumin, Chili Powder, and Garlic Powder) and stir
- Add softened cream cheese
- Add Rotel Tomatoes and cheese
- Stir to combine
- Place a spoonful of chicken on each tortilla and roll.
- Place in greased baking dish. Continue until all taquitos have been rolled
- Brush melted butter on top of Taquitos
- Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes
- Serve with sour cream, salsa, tomatoes, cheese, etc