White Chicken Chili Recipe is a creamy Chicken Chili with Great Northern White Beans. Add more or less heat to this Chili Recipe and serve with warm toasted french bread.
White Chicken Chili Recipe
Watch for a quick Tasty White Chicken Chili Recipe Video
About this Recipe
Recently I was served this recipe from a friend and loved it as we talked I thought it would be fun to convert this recipe for the Pressure Cooker. So this recipe for White Chicken Chili is adapted from her recipe.
There are plenty of White Chicken Chili Recipes, this recipe was given to me and what I loved most about this recipe was that it was hand written on a 3x5 recipe card. I love handwritten recipe cards with the creators own handwriting and extra notes to make it extra special. In this digital world, there is just some nostalgic about a recipe card. Seeing the notes and directions, and after tasting this recipe, I knew I had to make it.
I’ve made a few changes in the recipe and adaptions for the Instant Pot, however I’ve also included stove top directions too.
How long can you keep White Chicken Chili?
White Chicken Chili will last 3-4 days if kept properly in the refrigerator or you can freeze for up to 3 months.
How can I thicken White Chicken Chili?
If you wish to thicken White Chicken Chili, make a slurry of cornstarch and water using 3 tablespoons Cornstarch and 3 tablespoons of water and mix. Add to Chili and heat through. Sauce will thicken as it’s heated. Note: This would be done at the very end of the cooking process.
I love to do meal preparations and cook and shred chicken for future meals. Shredded chicken will freeze for a rainy day and make meals so much easier to make on those busy nights. My crock pot recipe for making shredded chicken can be found on my “Chicken Page” at the top. You can also use your pressure cooker to make chicken and shred too.
Having bags of shredded chicken become super simple. Trust me! I use shredded chicken in many recipes, one of my favorites is Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas. YUM! So easy to throw this recipe together if the chicken is all cooked. I promise.
Some of our Favorite Products
Devour Dinner is participate of the Amazon Affiliates LLC program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a mean for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon. We appreciate your clicks.
Pin this Recipe for Later!
Click the Red Pinterest Save button in the upper left corner of the pictures below
Did you know you can substitute cut up rotisserie chicken in place of shredded chicken? You can! That makes this for White Chicken Chili recipe super simple!
- 3 Cups Cooked Shredded Chicken
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion Diced
- 2 tsp Garlic
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 2 (15 oz) Cans Great Northern White Beans (drained)
- 2 (14 oz) Cans Chicken Broth
- 1 (4oz) Can Diced Green Chilis (Mild/Medium/or Hot)
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp Cayenne (depending how heat)
- 1 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Cup Whipping Cream
Instant Pot Directions
- Heat Instant Pot to Saute and wait until it reads "hot"
- Add Butter and Garlic and allow to cook for 1 minute
- Add diced medium onion and cook for 3+ minutes
- Add Chicken Broth, Beans, Chilis, Salt, Pepper, Cumin, Oregano and cayenne
- Add Chicken on top
- Set to Manual for 5 Minutes and quick release pressure
- Add Sour Cream and Whipping Cream and stir
- Close lid and allow soup to sit for 2-3 minutes to heat through
- Serve with bread and enjoy
Stove Top Directions
- Heat a Frying pan and add butter and garlic.
- Add diced onions and saute'
- In a large stock pot, add broth, beans, chilies, salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, and cayenne.
- Add chicken.
- Simmer covered on medium/low heat for 1 hour allowing flavors to meld together.
- serve with bread and enjoy
Substitute a rotisserie chicken for the shredded chicken
Add an additional can of diced green chilies to add extra heat if desired
*additional 20 minutes in time is to cook chicken in the Instant Pot for Shredded chicken
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.