You're probably already thinking, "Huh?! Watermelon Salsa?!" With an expression to match your thoughts.
However, This is a new (updated) favorite recipe with surprising great flavor but be forwarded, it's completely addicting.
With a sweet watermelon, fresh bell peppers, lime juice and some honey, this becomes a party in your mouth when scooped up with a tortilla chip (WARNING: Tortilla chips required before party in mouth will occur). haha
Watermelon Salsa is so refreshing it can be served as a side to any summer meal or as an appetizer to a meal. I personally love to eat it while binging on Netflix. Just sayin'!
What's in Watermelon Salsa
The ingredients are easy fresh ingredients, of course salsa is always best when fresh. So head to your favorite produce department and pick up these items. (see full measurements in recipe card below)
- Watermelon (I prefer the heart of a watermelon without seeds)
- Red Bell Pepper
- Green Bell Pepper
- Yellow Bell Pepper
- Red Onion
- Lime Juice
- Jalapino Pepper
How to make Watermelon Salsa
Now that you have your ingredients it's time to get the party started. Making Watermelon Salsa takes only a few minutes to throw together.
- Cut and Slice the watermelon. You will need about 2 generous sized cups of small cubed pieces. Think small, so you can fit on a chip!
- Set watermelon aside, as it sits, natural juices will pool at the bottom of the bowl. Before mixing with other ingredients drain juices.
- Slice each bell pepper and dice into small pieces
- Chop ½ Red Onion and dice into small pieces
- Cut and Chop Cilantro, I use about ½ cup (add more or less to your liking)
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- Juice from 1 small lime (about 2 Tablespoons)
- 1 Jalapeno seeded and finely diced
- Pinch of salt
- Mix all ingredients into a bowl and still. Chill in Refrigerator and serve with Chips - I personally prefer the Hint of Lime Chips as it gives it a fabulous zing of extra flavor.
This recipe really is a dump and go type recipe, feel free to add more or less of any ingredient to your liking!
Watermelon Salsa Recipe
Summer for us is a perfect time for Family Gatherings, BBQ's, Neighborhood Socials or just because. We love to add fresh ingredients whenever we can to recipes because, well...it's delicious! Take a look at our Potluck Favorite Recipes
Watermelon Salsa is like a Pico de Gallo with chunks of fresh veggies all put together to make a real party in your mouth.
Let's talk chips. Do yourself a favor and don't buy the cheapest tortilla chip you can find. Get a good tortilla chip.
We love to use Hint of Lime Chips for this recipe because of the added zest in every bite. The balance of sweet and salty is perfect.
A plain tortilla chip is also excellent too, make sure to choose a light restaurant style chip. You won't be disappointed.
How to choose a Watermelon
Top 6 tips for choosing a delicious watermelon
- Choose a watermelon that feels heavy for its size. They are usually the juiciest.
- Look for a Yellow Spot. This is where the watermelon rests on the ground. When it's a creamy yellow color it's and indicator of being ripe.
- Check the Stem: If it's green it means the watermelon was picked before it was ripe. A brown stem means it was picked when it was ripe.
- Pick a firm symmetrical Watermelon free from bruises, cuts or dents.
- Avoid Shiny: When a rind is shiny it's typically not ripe. Look for a dark green rind and a dull luster.
- Tap your watermelon. You want a deep hollow sound for the best taste.
- Avoid Mushy: Place your hands/fingers on each end (the stem and opposite side and press together. The skin should flex a little and be firm. If the skin gives too much it's a mushy watermelon.
How to Cut a Watermelon
- With a large knife cut the watermelon in half from stem to opposite end.
- Next slice one of the halves into thirds, making a nice wedge.
- Slice each edge into pieces but do not cut through the rind.
- With a smaller more flexible knife, cut along the rind and release all the slices made.
- Dice up each slice into small cubes for this recipe, or serve and eat.
Can you Freeze Watermelon Salsa?
The answer is YES, but...and a strong BUT... The watermelon will be mushy when it's thawed. Watermelon just doesn't freeze well so I wouldn't advise freezing this recipe.
What are the benefits of eating Watermelon?
Watermelon contains vitamins and minerals that are good for your heart. It also contains citrulline, which is an amino acid that may increase Nitric Oxide in the body.
Nitric Oxide is known to help expand your blood vessels which helps to lower blood pressure.
Is Watermelon good for Detox?
Watermelon can help remove toxins from your body that can slow down your metabolism.
What Part of the Jalapeno is Hot?
Jalapeno Peppers can be very hot peppers, however they are not the hottest peppers. The seeds and the membrane carry the most heat.
So if you remove the seeds and the inner membrane, you will add less heat to your recipe but still keep the delicious flavor of the Jalapeno Pepper.
Can I serve Watermelon Salsa with Chicken?
Oh dear, you read my mind. Think about a juicy grilled chicken breasted topped with fresh watermelon salsa. Oh I'm in LOVE. haha.
Yes, please please add watermelon salsa to a piece of grilled chicken or fish. It will be wonderful!
Looking for more great Pot Luck dishes?
- Loaded Baked Red Potato Salad
- Dorito Taco Salad
- Classic BLT Pasta Salad
- Creamy Taco Pasta Salad
- Hawaiian Mac Salad
- Southwest Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Pepperoni Pasta Salad
- Creamy Strawberry Poppyseed Salad
- BBQ Ranch Pasta Salad
- Grandma's Favorite Potato Salad Recipe
- 2 Cups Watermelon (Seedless) - Diced and chopped
- ½ Cup Red Onion - Diced and Chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper - Diced and Chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper - Diced and Chopped
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper - Diced and Chopped
- ½ Cup Cilantro - Chopped
- 1 Lg Lime - Juiced
- 2 tablespoon Honey
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper - Seeded and Diced
- 1 pinch Salt - Add to your liking
- Slice watermelon to remove rind and seeds if needed. Cube and dice into small pieces. Think tiny. I prefer to use 2 generous cups. Place in a mixing bowl. Watermelon will naturally produce extra liquid as it sits. Pour off extra liquid before mixing with other ingredients.
- Slice red onion and chop to small pieces. Place in mixing bowl
- Seed and chop red, green, yellow bell Pepper and jalapenos. Place in mixing bowl.
- Chop cilantro removing stems were possible. Place in mixing bowl.
- Toss ingredients together to mix.
- Add juice of 1 lime, pinch of salt and 2 tablespoons of honey and gently stir.
Serve with Tortilla Chips
All nutrition values are approximate and calculated by a plugin and are provided as a courtesy. Adding or subtracting ingredients will change the nutritional value.