Let Summer begin with Dorito Taco Salad a favorite Pot Luck Salad Recipe everyone loves loaded with taco meat, black olives, romaine lettuce, and fresh veggies. Topped with Ranch Dressing, Catalina Dressing, French Dressing, and crunchy Doritos.
I love a traditional Taco Salad that has a hot meat sauce over cool lettuce and topped with other vegetables, cheese, and sour cream. But this Dorito Taco Salad is a Pot Luck Winner!
I want to show you how you can level up your summer salad game with a delicious taco salad the whole family will love and this recipe will soon be among your favorite easy dinners.
With lots of flavor even Taco Tuesday will be the best yet! I promise.
Serves 6 | Ready in 30 mins | Perfect for Dinner | 6Qt Instant Pot
Dorito Taco Salad Recipe
Let's get to the nitty gritty, shall we? I'm showing you how I make Dorito Taco Salad Recipe in the Instant Pot, but you can always cook up the ground beef or ground turkey on the stove just as easy. The key is the meat mixture and using the Instant Pot means I am hands free while it's processing.
This gives me the extra time I need to cut bell peppers into small pieces, dice up red onions or green onions, and rinse and drain pinto beans, kindney beans or even black beans.
So choose the cooking method that works best for you!
What’s in Dorito Taco Salad?
The ingredients for Dorito Taco Salad Recipe are all pretty simple.
This recipe can whip together in about 30 minutes and perfect for a family gathering or picnic in the park watch your child’s sport event.
- Lean Ground Beef, Ground Turkey, or even a combination of Ground Pork and Ground Hamburger.
- Lettuce - Romaine Lettuce, Green Leaf Lettuce, Iceberg Lettuce torn or cut into bite size pieces.
- Cherry Tomatoes - Leave tomatoes whole or slice in half. Roma tomatoes diced are wonderful too
- Olives - Whole or slice, black olives add fun flavor and texture to taco salad.
- Cheese - Fiesta or Mexican blend cheese, medium cheddar, pepper jack cheese or even sharp shredded cheddar cheese add flavor
- Beans - Choose your favorite bean from Pinto Beans, Navy Beans, Black Beans, or Kidney Beans. There is no wrong choice here.
- Bell Pepper - Red, Yellow, Orange or Green. Dice up a Bell Pepper and add to the mix. I love the fresh flavor it adds along with the crunch.
- Doritos - Nacho Cheese Doritos, Cool Ranch Doritos, Spicy Sweet Chili, Spicy Nacho Chips and if you can get your hand on a bag of the newer Sweet and Tangy BBQ Doritos I think they would be delicious in this recipe too!
- Dressing - Catalina Dressing is always a winner but why not try Ranch Dressing, French Dressing, or your favorite Salad Dressings including Salsa Ranch. Yum!
How to make Dorito Taco Salad Recipe?
I like to use my Instant Pot electric pressure cooker to cook the ground beef. But like I mentioned earlier, cooking ground beef on the stove top might be your jam. Choose what works for you. For me, It’s super simple to place 1 pound of ground beef on the trivet with 1 cup of water in the bottom so I can be hands free to do other things while it's cooking.
Set your Instant Pot for 9 minutes on high and allow a 5 minute natural pressure release. When you release the pressure and open the lid make sure to discard the liquid and juices below. Quickly rinse out the pot liner and then place the cooked ground beef back into the Instant Pot.
Using a wooden spoon works best to break up the ground hamburger into smaller bite size pieces. And if for some reason you find any portions that are still pink, just turn on the Saute Button and cook those portions.
Add a packet of McCormicks Taco Seasoning, store-bought taco seasoning or make your own blend and add to the cooked hamburger.
Now to mix up the salad portion of this yummy taco salad. In a separate bowl combine the shredded cheese, beans, olives, head of iceberg lettuce, Cherry Tomatoes and anything else you want to add as toppings and toss to combine. Then add cooled seasoned hamburger and toss again.
Right before serving mix in some crushed Doritos Chips and 1 Cup Catalina Dressing and toss to combine. But remember there are different kinds of dressings that you can use in this recipe.
So change it up and have some fun! Serve Immediately and enjoy.
Is Dorito Taco Salad Healthy?
Taco Salad is a light refreshing Salad recipe that is a healthier meal option. Loaded with fresh ingredients you can control the amount of excess calories in this recipe pretty easily. Use a light dressing to reduce calories.
Have you ever had a Walking Taco? Let me tell you, it’s so fun!
Take a Dorito Snack Bag and open it up, add lettuce, seasoned hamburger, cheese, tomatoes, olives, and kidney beans.
Drizzle some Catalina Dressing on top and close the top of the bag and shake.
It's like enjoying a salad right in the chip bag. Perfect for Summer BBQ's, Campouts, youth activities, and family reunions too.
Then eat your meal right out of the bag! It’s a camping favorite. The Walking Taco! And the clean up is a cinch too!
More Summer Pot Luck Salad Recipes
- Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- Pepperoni Pasta Salad
- Strawberry Poppyseed Pasta Salad
- BLT Pasta Salad
- Taco Pasta Salad
- Mushroom and Garlic Noodles
- Zucchini and Cherry Tomatoes with a creamy Pasta Sauce
- Ramen Pad Thai
Save this Recipe ~ Pin for Later
Dorito Taco Salad Recipe
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 Tb Crushed Garlic
- ½ Cup Yellow Bell Pepper
- 4 oz Sliced Olives
- 1 Cup Cheese
- 1 Bunch Green Onions
- 12-15 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Small Iceberg Lettuce
- 1 Can Kidney Beans
- 2 Tbs Taco Seasoning
- ½ Bag Doritos Nacho Chips
- 1 Cup Catalina Dressing
- Instant Pot Directions
- Place 1 cup of water in bottom of Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker and place 1lb of ground hamburger on trivet. Sprinkle crushed garlic on top.
- Close lid and close pressure valve and set to Manual (Pressure Cook) High for 9 Minutes with a 6 minute Natural Release (NR)
- Turn Off Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker. Remove excess liquid and Trivet. Place cooked hamburger in Instant Pot and with a wooden spoon break cooked hamburger apart.
- Add Taco Seasoning and stir. Allow Hamburger mixture to cool while you prepare remaining ingredients.
- Note: If Hamburger is still pink, turn Instant Pot to Saute' and cook until hamburger reaches 165 Degrees F.
- Prepare Salad:
- Wash, Rinse and Drain Lettuce. Chop Lettuce into bite size pieces and place in large bowl
- Finely chop Green Onions and add to bowl
- Rinse and Drain Kidney Beans and olives and add to bowl
- Slice Cherry Tomatoes in half and add to bowl
- Add grated Cheese and Diced Yellow Bell Pepper to bowl
- Add Cooled Seasoned Hamburger
- Add Crushed Dorito Nacho Chips
- Pour 1 Cup Catalina Dressing on top and Toss to coat.
- Serve Immediately
Recipe updated April 2023
I'm thinking this might be a fun do-it-yourself salad. Just have everything in separate bowls and let each person add what they like. I have some picky eaters that don't like all of it.
It very much would be fun to let everyone make their own and toss it together!
This salad has been a life savor for me and my busy family! I love how it has very minimal carbs! It’s the perfect busy game night dinner!
Thanks for the great review. We love this quick and easy salad too
I went potluck this past weekend and was asked to bring a salad, brought this beauty and to say it was delicious was an understatement!
I love hearing this! Thanks you so much
The salad sounds most fun!
Thanks Radha! I so appreciate the 5 Star review
Inger @ Art of Natural Liivng
Such a pretty salad! I'll bet this is a huge hit at pot lucks!
Thank you! It's a winner recipe, everyone loves it
This Taco Salad was really good, I will make this salad more often. Yummy
Hi Eddie, So glad you enjoyed Dorito Taco Salad. It's a winning recipe at any Pot Luck as well as dinner too.
I used to eat this at potlucks several years ago, but it wasn't made in the InstantPot. It is delicious.
I won’t be eating until noon and have to take this dish to work, should I keep out the lettuce and the Doritos so they don’t get soggy?!
I would keep the lettuce, Doritos and dressing separate. Mix when ready to serve and add Lettuce, Doritos and Dressing and toss to coat. It will be perfect!
Hi Jeri! Thanks for the 5 Star Review! This is a favorite to take to any neighborhood social or family reunion. And we love to make it all summer long just for ourselves too!
Would I be able to substitute the kidney beans for black beans?
Hi Denise, You can always substitute for what you prefer!
Do you have a favorite Catalina dressing brand you use? I’ve tried it sometimes and liked it and other times I was really pleased. Not sure if was the brand of Catalina.
Hi Regina, I don't have a favorite brand but I do agree that not all Catalina Dressings are the same. I typically taste test before I just dump any dressing on. Sometimes I like more or less.
There's a creamy type of french dressing also. I think the creamy styles work better with this salad. Kraft or Wishbone makes them.
My favorite brand of Catalina dressing is Kraft.
I’ve been making this since the 70’s lol, a lot luck fav. Originally made it with Taco Doritos and you can use Russian dressing for S change also and throw in sliced avocado!
Hi Chris, Russian Dressing is also excellent but sometimes harder to find in my area. So many great dressings with this recipe if you try them out.
My family loves it! I have made this for years, but without the seasoned ground beef and taco seasoning.
Dorito Taco Salad is a classic recipe. It's a family favorite for sure.
I’ve made this salad for years with Thousand Island dressing. It’s a family favorite for sure!
Hi Randee! This recipe is so good with a variety of dressings... I mix it up and try Italian and Ranch. I'll have to try Thousand Island. Sounds delish!
This looks like my kind of taco salad. Love how quick and easy it is to make. I would have never thought to use Catalina salad dressing in a taco salad. I am definitely going to give this a try.
Hi Sarah! This salad would great with so many different salad dressings from Ranch, Italian, Catalina, or even French, Russian or Thousand Island. Make it what you love best!
This is a delicious salad and easy to prepare. This summer we will enjoy it many times.