Creamy and delicious, Honey Lime Enchiladas are the Best Chicken Enchilada Recipe ever.
With a sweet and tangy marinade that packs a punch with some spice. Together it's a perfect marriage of flavors you will savor
Honey and Lime are two flavors that are meant to be together, trust me! They pack a punch and will dazzle your tastebuds I promise.
This easy marinade makes the PERFECT and I mean perfect flavor for these Honey Lime Enchiladas that my family loves.
Serves 6 | Ready in 1 hour | Perfect for Dinner | 6 qt Instant Pot
Make sure to read this recipe all the way through. I've added some quick tips and substitutions that you just might love and will save you time when you are in a pinch.
The ingredients for Honey Lime Enchiladas are super easy. Cooked Shredded Chicken, Cheese, Tortillas, Honey, Lime, some seasonings, Salsa Verde and Heavy Cream.
Make sure to get your full ingredient list in the recipe card below.
Making the marinade is easy. Your Shredded Chicken should marinate for at least 30 minutes. You can of course marinate longer but 30 mins is perfect.
In a bowl combine the marinade ingredients and stir. I like to heat up the honey it makes it easier to mix all the ingredients together smoothly.
How to make Chicken Enchiladas?
The Best Chicken Enchilada Recipe is always easy. Make sure to cook your chicken a head of time using the Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot, Crock Pot or Stove Top.
The instructions are in the recipe card below. Then marinate for 30 mins and fill your enchiladas. Top with a creamy salsa verde and bake. I can taste it now! YUM!
Whats the Difference?
Is there a difference between Green Enchilada Sauce and Green Salsa? Well, there is. Green Enchilada Sauce will be much smoother in texture and much thiner than Green Salsa.
There will also be subtle differences in flavor but the great news is, I switch these two ingredients up all the time and both will knock your socks off!
Shredded Chicken or pieced chicken?
However you can always use a Rotisserie Chicken in a pinch too. Don't take life too seriously, Dinner is meant to be a fun part of the day, not a huge chore.
Adding the marinade to your chicken won't take all day either. This marinade is truly a 30 minute marinade.
And if I can share a little secret, I've even marinaded in less time because I needed to. It's not advised to cut marinading time down, but it works in a pinch if you need to.
Maybe the Best Chicken Enchilada Recipe isn't your jam, that's okay! Did you know you can substitute shredded pork for the chicken? Well you totally can!
And if Enchiladas aren't what you are in the mood for, try a Honey Lime Salad, Quesadilla, or Burrito. They are all wonderfully delicious!
More Fantastic Mexican Recipes
- Sweet Salsa Chicken Salad
- Easy Chicken Fajitas for the Instant Pot
- Fiesta Chicken Casserole
- Homemade Chicken Taquitos (Picky Eater Favorite Recipe)
- Ground Turkey Tacos
- Creamy Taco Alfredo (Mexican Italian Fusion)
- Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas
- Cheese Cake Factory Copy Cat Recipe Sweet Corn Cakes
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Spanish Rice
Save and Pin Honey Lime Enchiladas for Later
Honey Lime Chicken Enciladas
- 3 cups Chicken - Cooked and shredded (1- 1/12 pounds raw)
- ½ cup Honey
- 6 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 cups Shredded Cheese
- 8-10 Flour Tortillas - Use Corn or Flour
- 10-12 Corn Tortillas* - Use Corn or Flour
- 1 bunch Cilantro - chopped (optional)
- 2 Cups Whipping Cream
- 1 16oz Jar Salsa Verde - Mild/Medium/Hot
- In a medium bowl combine honey, lime, chili power, garlic powder. Mix to combine
- Add shredded chicken to honey, lime marinade and allow to sit for 30 minutes
- In a separate bowl combine whipping cream and Salsa Verde and set aside
- In a 9x13 pan, spray with cooking spray. Pour 1 cup of sauce in dish to lightly coat the bottom.
- On a tortilla, place shredded chicken and cheese. Roll up tortilla. Line pan with rolled enchiladas.
- Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas making sure to cover all the tortillas. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cheese has melted as is hot and bubbly.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Place 1 cup water in Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker
- Place 2-3 Chicken Breasts on trivet. Add Salt and Pepper to Taste and 1 tbs Garlic
- Set to Manual (Pressure Cook) High for 18 mins with a 15 minute natural release.
- Remove Chicken and shred with forks
Crock Pot Shredded Chicken
- Place 2-3 Chicken Breasts into Crock Pot. Add Salt and Pepper to Taste and 1 tbs Garlic
- Add 1 Can Chicken Broth around Chicken
- Set to low for 8-10 hours or High for 4-6 hours or until Chicken reaches an internal temperature of 170 degrees.
- Remove and shred with forks
Stove Top Shredded Chicken
- In a 3qt Sauce Pan with lid add 2-3 Chicken Breasts. Add Salt and Pepper to Taste and 1 tbs Garlic. Add 1 can of Chicken Broth and 1 Cup of water
- Place lid on top of pan and Simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes. Turn to low for an additional hour.
- Remove from heat. Pull chicken out of sauce pan and shred with forks.
All nutrition values are approximate and calculated by a plugin and are provided as a courtesy. Adding or subtracting ingredients will change the nutritional value.