Instant Pot Tuna Noodle Casserole is not like Grandma used to make, but it sure will make you reminisce over the past.
Bring this classic dish into the 21st century with a delicious and creamy sauce (made from scratch,) tuna, noodles, mushrooms, and peas.
Making Tuna Noodle Casserole in the Instant Pot is one way to simplify and amplify this dish.
Not only does it make dinner faster and easier, but it also makes it taste so much better! This is something you’ll want to share with the family to make your own modern memories.
Serves 6 | Ready in 20 min | Perfect for Dinner | 6Qt Instant Pot
Tuna Casserole Without Cream of Mushroom Soup
Although many Tuna Noodle Casseroles request cream of mushroom soup to be added, I personally don’t like them.
It’s much healthier to make your own sauce, and while it can be a little more time consuming than opening a can, it’s not difficult at all.
In fact, the homemade sauce is what makes this Instant Pot Tuna Noodle Casserole Recipe so darn delicious!
Even if you aren’t a fish lover, this Easy Tuna Noodle Casserole is something we can all enjoy. It’s that perfect and flavorful blend that has you going back for more and it’s the perfect comfort food.
Tuna Noodle Casserole for the Instant Pot and Stove Top Directions too!
How many of you remember when Grandma or even your own mom would make Tuna Casserole? I sure do! It makes me smile to remember those days. Wow. I’m old! haha..
Tuna Noodle Casserole is a classic, with a creamy sauce, mushrooms, peas, and of course Tuna.
I have a phobia to using canned cream of “anything” and try hard to not use them, if I can.
This from scratch sauce is quick and easy and tastes so much better than a canned sauce, trust me, you will thank me later.
I’m not a fish lover, but somehow Tuna Casserole is different and I find that even my picky eater son ate 3 bowls right up.
Not sure what makes this Easy Tuna Casserole different than other fish recipes, maybe it’s the simplicity of the dish or the comfort food that it has become.
What is Tuna Casserole?
Tuna Noodle Casserole is the same as Tuna Casserole, a dish that became popular in the 1950’s using a can of soup, tuna, and noodles.
How to Make Tuna Noodle Casserole?
Tuna Noodle Casserole can be made in a variety of ways but traditionally Tuna Casserole Recipes have Tuna, Noodles, and a creamy sauce as a base.
Often times Peas, and or mushrooms are also added with a crunch baked top.
How to Reheat Tuna Noodle Casserole?
You can easily reheat Tuna Casserole on the stove by adding a little bit of milk or cream and heating over a medium low heat and stirring untli desired temperature is reached.
You can also re-heat in the Microwave.
How to make Tuna Casserole without Soup?
Great question, as mentioned in the post we tend to steer away from canned soups so this recipe does not use one. It’s also super easy to make, easier than opening a can sometimes.
Check out the recipe card for full directions and measurements.
How to Freeze Tuna Casserole
You can freeze your leftovers really easily by wrapping the casserole dish with aluminum foil and freezing it in the pan.
Once it’s frozen, remove the casserole from the pan and place it in a freezer zip-loc bag. Then return it to the freezer.
Pin and Save for Later
Looking for more Great Tried and True Recipes?
- Turkey Tetrazzini
- Pasta with Zucchini and Cherry Tomatoes
- Mushroom Garlic Pasta
- Mac and Cheese
- Chicken Taco Alfredo
- Alfredo Pasta
- Bowtie Pasta
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Cashew Chicken
- Chicken Carbonara
Tuna Noodle Casserole
- 1 can 12 oz Solid White Albacore Tuna in water
- 1 12 oz package Egg Noodles
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 1 Tbs Garlic
- 1 Cup Mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 Tbs Lawrey’s Season Salt
- 3 1/2 Cup Broth
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 4 oz Cream Cheese
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 – 3/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas
- 1 Pkg 30z French Fried Onions * optional add in
- Drain Tuna and set aside
- Heat Instant Pot to Saute’ and wait until it reads “hot”
- Add butter and garlic and allow butter to melt while stirring.
- Add mushrooms and saute’ until softened. Add Lawrey’s Seasoning. Heat through
- Press Cancel and Turn off Instant Pot
- Add Chicken Broth
- Add Egg Noodles and make sure noodles are mostly covered. Add Heavy Cream. Do not stir.
- Put Tuna on top of noodles. Do not stir.
- Set Instant Pot to Manual for 2 minutes. Allow 4 minute Natural Release and then Quick Release.
- Stir noodles and tuna
- Add Cream Cheese, Pepper, and Parmesan cheese and stir.
- Add frozen peas and stir. Close lid for 5 minutes to heat peas and melt cheese.
- Place Tuna Casserole into a 9×13 casserole dish and top with French Fried Onions and bake for 7-9 minutes at 350 degrees to crisp to top of the casserole. Serve and enjoy.