Tuna Noodle Casserole for the Instant Pot and Stove Top Directions too! Classic easy Tuna Casserole Recipe will remind you of when Grandma used to make it for you. With a homemade sauce it’s creamy and delicious, something you can share with your family and make memories too.
Tuna Noodle Casserole
Serves 6 | Ready in 20 min | Perfect for Dinner | 6Qt Instant Pot
About Tuna Noodle Casserole Recipe
Many Tuna Casserole Recipes call for a Cream of Mushroom Soup, but not this recipe. And don’t get hung up on this recipe being hard, because it’s not. In fact, sometimes it’s harder to open a can of soup than it is to make this creamy from scratch sauce that truly makes this recipe delicious!
How many of you remember when Grandma or even your own mom would make Tuna Casserole? I sure do! It makes me smile to remember those days. Wow. I’m old! haha.. Tuna Noodle Casserole is a classic, with a creamy sauce, mushrooms, peas, and of course Tuna.
I have a phobia to using canned cream of “anything” and try hard to not use them, if I can. This from scratch sauce is quick and easy and tastes so much better than a canned sauce, trust me, you will thank me later.
I’m not a fish lover, but somehow Tuna Casserole is different and I find that even my picky eater son ate 3 bowls right up. Not sure what makes this Easy Tuna Casserole different than other fish recipes, maybe it’s the simplicity of the dish or the comfort food that it has become.
What is Tuna Casserole?
Tuna Noodle Casserole is the same as Tuna Casserole, a dish that became popular in the 1950’s using a can of soup, tuna, and noodles.
How to Make Tuna Noodle Casserole?
Tuna Noodle Casserole can be made in a variety of ways but traditionally Tuna Casserole Recipes have Tuna, Noodles, and a creamy sauce as a base. Often times Peas, and or mushrooms are also added with a crunch baked top.
How to Reheat Tuna Noodle Casserole?
You can easily reheat Tuna Casserole on the stove by adding a little bit of milk or cream and heating over a medium low heat and stirring untli desired temperature is reached. You can also re-heat in the Microwave.
How to make Tuna Casserole without Soup?
Great question, as mentioned in the post we tend to steer away from canned soups so this recipe does not use one. It’s also super easy to make, easier than opening a can sometimes. Check out the recipe card for full directions and measurements.
How to Freeze Tuna Casserole
You can freeze your leftovers really easily by wrapping the casserole dish with aluminum foil and freezing it in the pan. Once it’s frozen, remove the casserole from the pan and place it in a freezer zip-loc bag. Then return it to the freezer.
Pin and Save for Later
Looking for more Great Tried and True Recipes?
- Turkey Tetrazzini
- Pasta with Zucchini and Cherry Tomatoes
- Mushroom Garlic Pasta
- Mac and Cheese
- Chicken Taco Alfredo
- Alfredo Pasta
- Bowtie Pasta
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Cashew Chicken
- Chicken Carbonara
- 1 can (12 oz) Solid White Albacore Tuna in water
- 1 12oz package Egg Noodles
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 1 Tbs Garlic
- 1 Cup Mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 Tbs Lawrey's Season Salt
- 3 1/2 Cup Broth
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 4 oz Cream Cheese
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 - 3/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas
- 1 Pkg (30z) French Fried Onions * optional add in
- Drain Tuna and set aside
- Heat Instant Pot to Saute' and wait until it reads "hot"
- Add butter and garlic and allow butter to melt while stirring.
- Add mushrooms and saute' until softened. Add Lawrey's Seasoning. Heat through
- Press Cancel and Turn off Instant Pot
- Add Chicken Broth
- Add Egg Noodles and make sure noodles are mostly covered. Add Heavy Cream. Do not stir.
- Put Tuna on top of noodles. Do not stir.
- Set Instant Pot to Manual for 2 minutes. Allow 4 minute Natural Release and then Quick Release.
- Stir noodles and tuna
- Add Cream Cheese, Pepper, and Parmesan cheese and stir.
- Add frozen peas and stir. Close lid for 5 minutes to heat peas and melt cheese.
- Place Tuna Casserole into a 9x13 casserole dish and top with French Fried Onions and bake for 7-9 minutes at 350 degrees to crisp to top of the casserole. Serve and enjoy.
Tuna Noodle Casserole can be made in an instant Pot by following the directions above or on the stove following the directions below:
Stove Top Directions:
Cook noodles according to package directions and drain water and set aside
Drain Tuna and set aside
Meanwhile in a sauce pan over medium heat melt butter and add garlic. Add mushrooms and saute' until softened. Add Lawrey's seasoning salt and stir. In a sauce pan add 1 cup heavy cream and 1/2-3/4 cup chicken broth and heat through. Add parmesan Cheese and Cream cheese and stir. Add noodles and stir to coat evenly. Add tuna and stir to combine. Add peas and heat through. Add pepper to taste. (optional) Place Tuna Casserole in a casserole dish and top with French Fried Onions (optional) . Bake at 350 for 7-9 minutes until top is crispy and warm. Serve and enjoy
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 501 Total Fat: 32g Saturated Fat: 18g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 124mg Sodium: 1196mg Carbohydrates: 29g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 6g Protein: 26g