An American Favorite…. Mac & Cheese can be made even easier in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker! In 5 minutes this favorite will be perfectly cooked for you to enjoy.
Who doesn’t love a good Mac & Cheese? I think we all do! And we likely have eaten enough of the boxed Mac & Cheese but nothing compares to homemade.
Try this Mac & Cheese in your Instant Pot and you will be hooked as we are.
I have to be honest, I was extremely skeptical that this would be cooked in 5 minutes. But I thought, ‘what can I lose?’, so I tried it.
In record time, the pasta was perfectly cooked. All my mess was contained to one pan!
Yippee! Even better, right? And I have very little clean up.
In your Instant Pot, put 4 1/2 cups of water, this is the perfect amount needed for 1 pound of pasta. You won’t need to drain off any extra.
Add your Salt and Dry Mustard and pasta and set your Instant Pot to Manual Mode for 5 minutes. That’s it!
It will take about 8 minutes for your Instant Pot to pressure up. The 5 minute cooking time will begin once the correct pressure has been reached. After 5 minutes a beeper will signal and then you can Quick Release the pressure.
You do this by turning the pressure knob forward. Place a towel over the Quick Release so the steam doesn’t go every where. Also, this recipe tends to make the steam “spit”. So a towel just takes care of any mess that could happen.
Once the pasta is all cooked, stir it to break up any clumps. This is normal as it as absorbed all the water.
Then go ahead and add the rest of the ingredients and stir it up. Adding more milk will give it a more creamy texture so add as little as you like.
Eat it up:
This recipe was a hit the first time. I’m a little embarrassed to say that we have now made Mac & Cheese daily this past week. You would think 1 pound of pasta would be enough.
With a family of grown boys, they think they need more! But really, this is a large portion and will easily feed 6-8 as a side dish to compliment any meal.
You could also throw it into a casserole dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs and throw into the oven for a few minutes too. Just like Grandma used to make! And no one needs to know it only took you minutes. I won’t tell!
Pin and save for later
Mac & Cheese | Instant Pot Recipe
- 1 lb Macaroni Noodle
- 4 1/2 Cup water *can substitute broth
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 Cup Evaporated Milk
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 1 1/2 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Cup Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In your Instant Pot, add 4 1/2 cups of water, 1 tsp Salt and 2 tsp Dry Mustard and give it a quick stir. Add pasta.
- Set to Manual Mode for 5 minutes. It will take about 8 minutes to pressure up.
- Once the Instant Pot and signaled the time is up, place a towel over the Quick Release valve and release the pressure. It will “spit” out water so the towel just helps to keep it from going all over your kitchen.
- Open lid, and with a large spoon stir pasta. The pasta will clump up when cooking but quickly breaks apart when stirred.
- Add Butter and Evaporated milk and give a quick stir.
- Add Sharp Cheddar, Monterey Jack Cheese and stir to melt. Add Nutmeg. Add additional evaporate milk if you want it more creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and Enjoy! To Reheat, add additional milk or evaporate milk and heat in microwave.