Chicken Cordon Blue Casserole is a Kid Approved Recipe! In fact, it’s my picky eaters FAVORITE recipe! Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole received a 9.5 Star ranking from my son who went back for seconds and told his dad he better hurry and eat before it’s gone. With all the traditional flavors you would expect from Chicken Cordon Blue, this Casserole is a family favorite.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
Making meals my family will eat is a high priority, finding a recipe my picky eater son will devour is another and when I do, I make a huge point to share with others hoping other picky eaters will love it too! This is definitely one of those recipes as Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is made so easily and has all the ingredients kids love.
Traditionally Chicken Cordon Bleu is a chicken breast stuffed with ham and Swiss cheese, breaded and baked in a wonderful sauce. It’s delicious. This fun twist to Chicken Cordon Bleu has all the same elements deconstructed and with pasta.
As an option, you can serve Cordon Bleu with crushed Ritz crackers sprinkled on top for the added texture and flavor. And it’s even better if you mix 2 tubes of Crushed Ritz Crackers with 1/2 cup melted butter before adding to your Chicken Cordon Bleu.
I talk a lot about “my picky eater son”, haha… he is particular in what he eats but will actually eat a lot of things. He just needs to know it has “normal” ingredients without ingredients hidden in them. Like veggies! However, if he is unsure, he won’t even try a meal. So finding recipes that he goes back for seconds for is something we love and as adults appreciate the flavors is a bonus in my world.
I had a huge request to make this recipe for Chicken Cordon Blue Casserole with less fat and sodium. Get the Skinny on this Skinny Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe. Lose the fat but not all the flavors you want from a Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe. And you just might be amazed what my picky eater son ranked this recipe. Go take a look and decide for yourself which recipe you prefer.
Chicken Cordon Blue with pasta is one of those recipes that our family enjoys. I love the flavor and will even add a little extra dijon if I think I can get away with it from the kids. 😉 What they don’t know won’t hurt them, right?
Can I make Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole on the Stove?
Yes! This recipe is an Instant Pot recipe, however we have included the needed directions for stove top on the recipe card below. Please note that some of the ingredient measurements are adjusted because of the difference.
Does Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole really only take 6 minutes in the Instant Pot?
Yes! And Actually depending on how done you like your noodles and the type of noodles you are using it can take less. I find that Bowtie and Shells seem to need longer (by a minute). As you use your Instant Pot, you will find the time that works for your liking. But 6 minutes seems to be a good standard.
Can I add the Cream Cheese after the cooking time for the Instant Pot?
Yes! You can. Make sure it’s sat out on the counter for a minute to not be as hard and it will easily melt into the hot pasta from the Instant Pot after the cook time.
Is the Chicken fully cooked?
In this recipe with the Instant Pot instructions you have cooked the chicken on Saute’ until you no longer see pink and then the chicken has cooked for 6 minutes under pressure. If you are in doubt check the internal temperature that the chicken has reached 165 degrees.
What can I serve with Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole?
This is really a one pot meal. However you can always add a steamed vegetable or a beautiful salad on the side to compliment this meal.
How to Make Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Melt Butter and add garlic to Instant Pot. Saute’ cubed chicken in Instant Pot until no longer pink. Add Salt and Pepper, & Dijon Mustard and Ham and heat through quickly. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Add Broth, Water and Whipping Cream. Stir. Add Pasta and make sure it’s covered. Place cream cheese on top
- Set on Manual for 6 minutes. Quick Release and Stir pasta. Sauce will be thin. Add Parmesan Cheese and Swiss Cheese. Stir to melt
- Let sit for 10 minutes. Sauce will thicken as it cools. Sprinkle with crushed crackers (optional)
- Serve and enjoy your deconstructed Chicken Cordon Blue!
This recipe needs time to cool for the sauce to thicken, otherwise the sauce is very thin. But thick or thin, the sauce is wonderful!
You don’t want to lose this recipe ~ PIN and SAVE for Later!
More Amazing Chicken Instant Pot Recipes!
- Chicken Carbonara
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup
- Fiesta Chicken Casserole
- Honey Mustard Chicken and Rice
- BBQ Chicken Tostada
- Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wrap
- Chicken Chili Verde
- Easy Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken Taco Alfredo
- Chicken Corn Chowder
Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 2-3 Large Chicken Breasts Cubed
- 2 tbs Butter
- 2 tsp garlic Crushed
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Pepper To Taste
- 3 Cup Broth *or water
- 1 Cup Whipping Cream
- 1 Cup water
- 1 Tbs Dijon Mustard
- 1 Cup Ham Cut up
- 1 lb Pasta Penne, Shells, Bowtie
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 Cup Swiss Cheese Grated
- 2 Cups Crushed Crackers *optional for garnish
Instant Pot Instructions
- Set Instant Pot to Saute’ and allow to get Hot. Add Butter and Garlic.
- Add cubed chicken and cook until no longer pink. Add Salt and Pepper. Press Cancel on Instant Pot.
- Add ham cubes. I use the packaged diced ham chunks.
- Add broth, whipping cream, and water. Stir to combine.
- Add Pasta and make sure all is covered.
- Place Cream Cheese on top. Do not stir.
- Set to Manual for 6 minutes.
- Quick Release and open lid. Stir to break up pasta and stir in Cream Cheese.
- Add Parmesan Cheese and Swiss Cheese. Stir.
- Cover and allow to sit for 10 mins for sauce to thicken.
- Optional. *Sprinkle crushed Ritz crackers on top before serving.
Stove Top Directions
- In a frying pan over medium/high heat melt butter, add garlic. Then add cubed chicken and cook until chicken reaches 165 degrees. Add salt and Pepper and ham cubes. Heat through and remove from heat.
- In a large pot, heat water for noodles and follow direction on packaged noodles. Rinse and drain
- Sauce: Heat 2 cups whipping cream and 2 cup broth. Add Cream Cheese and allow to melt. Add Dijon Mustard. Then add parmesan cheese and Swiss cheese. Stir to melt. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add sauce to Pasta and Chicken Mixture. Stir to combine. Sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Optional * Sprinkle crushed Ritz crackers on top before serving.