Make sure to SHARE this Recipe with others!
About 30 years ago I was given this recipe, and I’m still making it today. Honey Mustard Chicken and Rice is a family favorite and a recipe I’ve shared over and over.
Honey Mustard Chicken and Rice
One pot cooking is always a plus and this recipe is no exception. The Honey Mustard marinade is infused into the rice and chicken making this the perfect sweet and tangy combination
4 Servings | Ready in 22 minutes | Good for Dinner | 6qt Instant Pot
This recipe you can use Chicken Breasts or Chicken Tenders. I use Chicken Breasts and cut them up in small tender size pieces for a quick and easy cooking time
Mixing the ingredients in a bowl allows you to test the Honey Mustard marinade and add extra sweetness if needed. It’s a personal preference.
Why Slice Chicken Breasts?
For this recipe of Honey Mustard Chicken and Rice to cook perfectly, the chicken breasts must be sliced into a tender size portion. Because the Chicken is cooking right along with the Rice, it’s super important to make sure that everything is cooked and the rice isn’t over cooked.
Carefully sprinkle rice into pot on top of sliced Chicken. Make sure to evenly sprinkle the rice or you will end up with spots of rice that aren’t cooked as much as other areas.
Once the Honey Mustard Chicken and Rice are cooked it will look just like this. And it smells so good! Yum! I really love making Honey Mustard Chicken and Rice.
What does Honey Mustard Chicken and Rice Taste Like?
I personally feel that this marinade gives a perfect balance of sweet to tangy. The rice is my favorite that I just eat right up. The honey will make this recipe sweet and the dijon mustard gives it the tang that you need to balance well for a dinner recipe.
This recipe can of course be baked as well, however you will need to add more liquid to a tradition 2:1 ratio . Two parts liquid to 1 part rice.
Want to Save this Recipe for Later? PIN IT NOW!
Looking for more great Dinner Recipes?
Let me help!
- Pasta with Zucchini and Cheery Tomatoes
- Turkey Tetrazzini
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Mandarin Chicken
- 2-3 chicken breasts sliced thin OR 8-10 Chicken Tenders
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1/4 Cup Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 TBS Lemon Juice
- 1 Tb Crushed Garlic
- *2 1/4 Cup Water or Broth (Instant Pot Recipe)
- 2 Cup Rice
Instant Pot Directions
- Slice Chicken Breasts thin. Think Chicken Tender size and set aside
- In a small bowl combine Honey, Dijon Mustard, Lemon Juice, Salt, and Garlic. Stir to combine.
- Pour Mixture into Instant Pot and Add water. Stir.
- Place Chicken Strips or Chicken Tenders in the bottom of the Instant Pot
- Sprinkle with 2 cups rice making sure rice is submerged
- Set Rice Button to 12 minutes with a 10 minute Natural Release OR Set to Manual High (Pressure Cook) to 12 minutes with a 10 minute Natural Release
- Place 2 Cups Rice in a glass baking dish
- Add Chicken Breasts or Chicken Tenders on top of Rice
- In a bowl combine Honey, Dijon Mustard, Lemon Juice, Salt and Garlic. Stir to combine
- Add 4 Cups water to marinade and stir to combine
- Pour liquid evenly over chicken and rice.
- Cover with aluminum foil and Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes
- Check Chicken and Rice after 25 minutes and Tent Open Foil to allow steam to escape and cook an additional 5-10 minutes or until rice and chicken are cooked through.
*Prepare marinade early and allow Chicken to marinate in Marinate for added flavor
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 540 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 121mg Sodium: 250mg Carbohydrates: 19g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g Protein: 50g