Chicken Chile Verde Recipe is a stew of tender meat in a green sauce of roasted green peppers. It’s wonderfully delicious served over rice or even in a soft warm tortilla. A Mexican ~ American favorite made in the Instant Pot. Chicken Chile Verde is a family favorite.
About this Recipe
Mmmm, Chile Verde Recipes are so good. I love the tangy flavors from Tomatillos with the added spice from green peppers and all combined are just a winner for any meal. Chicken Chile Verde is so good and a fun twist from a more traditional Pork Chile Verde.
I first was introduced to Chicken Chile Verde recipe about 11 years ago when I was preparing to have a major surgery, with a long recovery, where I knew I would need some easy recipes. I was looking for a dump and go type recipe for the crock pot because that was about all the energy I would have to make dinner. This recipe fit exactly what I was looking for.
It soon because a go to recipe, not only because of the ease and convenience of the recipe, but because we all just loved it. Any leftovers could be served over warm tortillas the next day or even in in a taco.
The directions for a Crock Pot are the same, except for the time it takes to cook. A Crock Pot would take 4-6hours on High or 6-8 on low.
I’ve made this recipe to take to neighbors when they need help or a little pick me up and I’m always asked for the recipe. I have to admit, I’m a bit embarrassed that it’s just so simple. Regardless how simple it is, it’s a keeper!
What is Chile Verde?
Chile Verde is a stew with tender meat in a delicious green sauce made from green peppers.
What meat is used in Chile Verde?
Chile Verde Recipes can be made with Pork, Beef or Chicken. This recipe calls for Chicken
How do I Serve Chile Verde?
Chile Verde is served over rice traditionally. However, it can also be served in a warm tortilla or even in a taco shell.
Can I make Chicken Chile Verde in a Crock Pot?
Yes! You can. The only change you need to make is the length of time. 4-6 hours on low or 6-8 on high
Can I make Chicken Chile Verde in a Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot?
Yes! I love the ease and convince of using my Instant Pot to make Chicken Chile Verde quickly and easily. The instructions are included in the recipe card below.
How do I re-heat any leftovers?
Leftovers can be re-heated in the microwave or even on the stove top over medium heat.
Is Chile Verde a low carb recipe?
Yes, it can be. If you substitute a cauliflower rice for either white/brown/ or wild rice, you can significantly reduce the carbs in this recipe.
Pin this Recipe for Later!
You can add spice or heat to this recipe by using Medium or Hot jar of Salsa Verde.
Step by Step Instructions
- Place Chicken breast in Instant Pot. Add Salt and Pepper to taste. Add crushed garlic
- Add 1 can drained black beans over chicken breasts
- Add 1 jar Salsa Verde (Mild, Medium, or Hot) and 1 4oz can of diced green chiles.
- Set Instant Pot to Manual for 20 minutes and allow a 20 minute Natural Release.
- Serve over rice and garnish with cheese, sour cream, and/or guacamole and enjoy.
- For Full Recipe ~ Scroll to the Bottom
Chicken Chile Verde
- 3-4 Chicken Breasts
- 1 16 oz jar Salsa Verde Mild, Medium or Hot
- 1 4oz Diced Chilies
- 1 Can black beans Drained
- 1 Can White Beans *Optional
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2-3 tsp Crushed Garlic
Instant Pot Recipe
- Place Chicken Breasts in Instant Pot. Sprinkle Salt and Pepper and add crushed Garlic.
- Pour drained black beans over chicken
- Pour jar of Salsa Verde over chicken
- Pour diced chiles over chicken
- *white beans are optional and can be added as well.
- Close Lid and close pressure valve and set to manual for 20 minutes. Allow for 20 minute Natural Release
- Open instant Pot lid and with 2 forks shred chicken into large chunks. Serve over Rice.
Crock Pot Recipe
- Place Chicken Breasts in Crock Pot. Sprinkle Salt and Pepper and add crushed Garlic.
- Pour drained Black Beans over chicken
- Pour Jar of Salsa Verde over chicken
- Pour diced green chiles over chicken
- *optional – add can of drained white beans
- Cook for 4-6 hours on low or 6-8 on high.
- With 2 forks shred chicken into large chunks and serve over rice.