I first made this recipe, Chicken Cream Cheese Croissants years and years ago when my now 22 year old son was little. He devoured them and still will regularly ask to have them for dinner secretly hoping there will be leftovers so he can eat one for lunch the next day.
This recipe has been updated as of October 2019
That’s all I need as a mom to know it’s a good recipe. This recipe has become a tried and true favorite over the years and we will continue to share this recipe of Chicken Cream Cheese Croissants to all those to come into our home.
I make this recipe using Shredded Chicken, which I make in my Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker. The recipe is super simple, and I can throw together and walk away. Preparing the rest only takes minutes after a long day and Dinner is quickly on the table.
Don’t worry if you don’t have shredded chicken ready. You can quickly cook some up, or in a pinch used Canned Chicken Breast or cut up Rotisserie Chicken.
What’s in Cream Cheese Chicken Croissants?
- 2 Cans Pillsbury Croissant Biscuits
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 2 Cups Shredded Chicken
- 2 Tbs Milk
- 1 Bunch Diced Green Onions
- 1/4 Cup Diced Green Bell Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- and Pepper to Taste
How to make Cream Cheese Chicken?
With simple ingredients the Chicken Cream Cheese Croissants are the type of recipes my boys have taken with them to college. Nothing like a little bit of home with a recipe they can handle with their busy college lives. The each have learned to modify this recipe to their tastes too. It’s wonderful to see them growing in the kitchen and learning how to cook.
I buy the refrigerated can croissants. These have 8 croissants in each can. However, when you unroll the dough there are cuts to separate the dough and you will need to pinch the seams together with your fingers to create 4 rectangles per can. This recipe can easily be halved if you only wish to make 4 Chicken Cream Cheese Croissants at a time. Please note, my cutting board will only hold 3 rectangles at time, but rest assured you can make 4 of these babies at once.
Once you have your seams pinched together you can place a heaping 1/4 cup of mixture on the center of each croissant. It can seem like it’s a lot and might spill out but I’ve never had that problem. So fill them up.
Then just bring the corners together and pinch to top so they stay closed. I only pinch at the top and leave the little pockets on each side open. It’s cute that way and nothing spills out.
To make that wonderful additional flaky crust on the croissant, take a whisked egg and brush it on before you bake. It’s amazing what this little additional effort makes to the texture and flavor of this dish. Yum! Who wouldn’t love the Chicken Cream Cheese Croissants? I’m ready for one now.
Forget the croissants and use this filling inside of a tortilla making a quesadilla. It’s Delish! I do like to add some parmesan cheese on top.
You sure can! For this recipe use 2 cans of chicken. You can also use a cut up Rotisserie Chicken and believe it or not, leftover Turkey is also great too!
Typically I don’t recommend freezing dairy products. For this recipe I would not recommend freezing once you have the filling made. However, cooking chicken to make shredded chicken takes the longest and I do make this ahead all the time and freeze it. Works perfectly!
Of course you can. Slice open your croissants and spread a nice layer of Chicken Cream Cheese inside. I would still recommend heating this up as the filling is definitely better warm.
I like to reheat these one at a time in my Microwave or using an Air Fryer.
Yes you can. You can make the filling ahead of time up to 4 day if properly stored in your refrigerator.
Of course eating Chicken Cream Cheese Croissants is good, but pairing it with a delicious salad or vegetable is also perfect. This Fall Apple Pecan Cransin Poppyseed Salad is a family favorite as well as Bacon Herbed Green Beans.
More Family Favorite Recipes
- Instant Pot Tomato Soup
- Stove Top Meatloaf
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Fry Bread
- Instant Pot Breakfast
- Turkey Tetrazini
- Dorito Taco Salad
- Chicken Carbonara
- Hawaiian Macaroni Salad Recipe
- Candied Carrots
- Navajo Tacos
Chicken Cream Cheese Croissants
- 2 Cups Shredded Chicken See Recipe Below
- 2 Pop Cans Croissants
- 1 8oz Cream Cheese softened
- 1 bunch Green Onions
- 1/4 cup Bell Pepper Chopped and diced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Butter softened
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- 1 Egg *optional
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees
- In a bowl mix cream cheese and butter, until blended. Add milk. Mixture will be chunky if cream cheese is not softened. It’s okay. Add in shredded chicken, diced green onions, diced green bell pepper, salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- On a cutting board, unroll one tube of Croissants. They are all precut, so with your fingers pinch together the cut lines. You will be make 4 rectangles out of the 8 croissants. See Photo
- One each rectangle place 1/4 cup of mixture in the center of the croissant and bring corners together and pinch to close.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg and brush egg over each croissant. (Optional)
- Bake for 13-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and serve.
How to make Shredded Chicken
- Place 1 Cup water or Chicken Broth in Bottom of Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker
- Place 2 Chicken Breasts in Instant Pot on Trivet
- Sprinkle Salt and Pepper over Chicken Breasts
- Sprinkle crushed garlic on chicken
- Close Instant Pot Lid and check to make sure pressure valve is closed
- Set on Manual (Presser Cook) High for 18 minutes
- Allow a 20 minute Natural Release
- Remove Chicken Breasts and one at a time shred chicken with forks
- Use in a meal, or package and freeze for later use