Savor the perfection of these impeccably toasted Grilled Cheese Sandwiches from the Air Fryer – boasting a crispy exterior and an irresistibly gooey interior. With a luscious buttery coating and a generous filling of delicious cheese, they make an excellent choice for brunch, lunch, or a delightful light dinner!
There's nothing quite like biting into a gooey grilled cheese sandwich, with its perfectly melted cheese sandwiched between two slices of crispy, buttered bread.
Air Fryers use circulating hot air to cook food, ensuring that whatever you're cooking turns out crispy on the outside while still remaining tender on the inside.
Air Frying your Grilled Cheese Sandwiches is a game changer.
It gives the bread a unique, golden brown crispiness on the outside while ensuring that the cheese melts to perfection and that the bread stays fluffy too!
It's the perfect comfort food, and with this Air Fryer method, you'll never have a squished grilled cheese sandwich again.
It's a quick and simple recipe, making it perfect for busy weekdays, holiday gatherings, or any occasion when you crave a simple yet delicious meal.
You can customize this recipe with different flavor options by changing the type of bread and cheese, or by adding in some veggies or sauce!
Ingredients Needed for Grilled Cheese
- Bread. I've used white sandwich bread, but any kind of sandwich bread or bun will work well.
- Cheese. Cheddar cheese is the classic choice for these sandwiches, but you can use your favorite kind.
- Butter. I've used salted butter that's softened to room temperature, as it will help enhance the flavors of the sandwich and allow the outside of the sandwich to get crisp in the air fryer.
How to Make the Perfect Sandwich with Grilled Cheese
- Spread the butter evenly onto the outside of the bread
- Layer two cheese slices on the inside, and top with the other slice of bread.
- Carefully place it in the Air Fryer Basket.
- Heat at 370°F for 3–4 minutes. Check to see if the top is golden and toasty. If additional time is needed, add 1 minute.
- Flip the sandwich over and heat for an additional 3-4 minutes on the other side.
- Remove the hot sandwich, slice it in half or quarters, and serve hot.
Adding some sides to your sandwich is a great way to turn it into a more filling meal. Serve your sandwiches with a side salad like my Olive Garden Copycat Salad, creamy Tomato Soup, or even some french fries, potato chips, or coleslaw.
For this recipe, the butter on the outside of the bread should prevent sticking. However, if you're concerned, a light spray of cooking spray won’t hurt.
It depends on the size of your air fryer. The key is to ensure the sandwiches lie in a single layer without overlapping. If you have a larger air fryer, you might be able to fit more than one.
Storage & Freezing
Storage: These sandwiches are best enjoyed fresh, and as they only take 7 minutes to make from start to finish, it's best to only make what you need. However, you can store any leftover grilled cheese sandwiches in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the Air Fryer on a slightly lower heat until hot.
Freezing: You can make grilled cheese ahead of time and freeze them for the future. Once the sandwich has cooled down, wrap it tightly in aluminum foil and place it inside a freezer bag. It can be frozen for up to a month. When you're ready to eat, thaw the sandwich in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat it in the air fryer or oven.
Substitutions & Variations
- Try other cheeses. You can use any kind of melty cheese for these sandwiches. Some good melting cheeses include Mild Cheddar, Medium Cheddar, Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Monterey Jack, Provolone Cheese, Pepper Jack Cheese, and Swiss Cheese!
- Use any kind of bread. I've used regular white bread here, but you can use whole wheat bread or sourdough bread for a healthier option, or even brioche buns for a more decadent treat!
- Add some meat. Adding meat to your grilled cheese sandwiches will give you more flavor and texture while also providing more protein if you're looking for a heartier meal. Try cheese and Ham, Turkey, Salami, Roast Beef, or Pepperoni.
- Put in some veggies. Certain vegetables will work well to make even the best grilled cheese sandwiches have an extra pop of flavor. Try sliced tomatoes, slices of red onion, or sliced pickles for some great flavors.
- Use a sauce. You can add your favorite condiments to your grilled cheese sandwiches. Try a splash of Worcestershire Sauce, Ketchup, Mustard, or even your favorite kind of Hot Sauce to add a bit of heat!
- Add more flavor. Use garlic butter or chili oil instead of salted butter to coat the outer side of each slice of bread for more flavor.
- Put cocktail sticks through the bread slices at an angle to help hold them together. This will ensure the top piece of bread doesn't fly into the heating element and get burned, helping your fillings stay soft underneath the bread.
- Check out my Baked Grilled Cheese Sandwich to see how you can make them in the oven.
Have you tried this Air Fryer Grilled Cheese recipe?
Please leave a comment below if you have tried making this classic sandwich in the Air Fryer. I love to hear from you and enjoy reading about what you think. Be sure to tag @devourdinner when posting to social media. I can't wait to see your photos!
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Garlic Knots
- Cheese Stuffed Breadstick
- Tender and Juicy Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer Apple Crisp Dessert
- Air Fryer Steak Fajitas
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- 4 slices Bread
- 4 slices Cheese - Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Swiss, or Provolone
- 4 tablespoons Butter - Softened
- Even spread butter on the outside of the bread
- Layer two cheese slices on the inside and top with other slice of bread.
- Carefully place in Air Fryer Basket.
- Heat at 370F Degrees for 3-4 minutes. Check to see if top is golden and toasty. If additional time is needed add 1 minute.
- Flip sandwich over and heat for an additional 3-4 minutes on other side.
- Remove hot sandwich and slice in half or quarters and serve hot.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich on the Stove Top
- Evenly spread the butter onto two slices of bread.
- Place two slices of cheese in between each slice of bread, with butter on the outside of the bread making a sandwich.
- Place the cheese sandwich, and butter side down, on a hot skillet or frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Cook until the bread is golden and toasty; this will take about 3–4 minutes.
- Flip the sandwich over and cook the other side for an additional 3–4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and slice in half. Serve and enjoy!
Types of Cheese and AdditionsTry using a variety of cheeses.
- Mild Cheddar, Medium Cheddar, and Sharp Cheddar
- Monterey Jack
- Provolone Cheese
- Pepper Jack Cheese
- Swiss Cheese
AdditionsAdding slices of lunch meat to grilled cheese makes a delicious sandwich too.
- Roast Beef
- Storage: These sandwiches are best enjoyed fresh, and as they only take 7 minutes to make from start to finish, it's best to only make what you need. However, you can store any leftover grilled cheese sandwiches in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the air fryer on a slightly lower heat until hot.
- Freezing: You can make grilled cheese sandwiches ahead of time and freeze them for the future. Once the sandwich has cooled down, wrap it tightly in aluminum foil and place it inside a freezer bag. It can be frozen for up to a month. When you're ready to eat, thaw the sandwich in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat it in the air fryer or oven.
All nutrition values are approximate and calculated by a plugin and are provided as a courtesy. Adding or subtracting ingredients will change the nutritional value.