Freshly made Bread Sticks are an incredible snack that’s perfect for any occasion.
These Breadsticks have a super delicious crusty bottom that is to die for. Serve with a nice side of marinara dipping sauce you can have yourself an amazing weekend snack.
These tasty bread sticks don’t last long around here. I always have to make sure that I get my fill before offering them to everyone else.
I can never look forward to seconds, everyone loves them just as much as I do.
Fun fact, did you know that in Spain, breadsticks are known as Rosquilletas? The name sounds so pretty, doesn’t it?
Another cool thing to note is that National Bread Stick day is October 30th. Bread sticks are so popular that they get their own holiday!
It’s not hard to figure out why homemade breadsticks are so enjoyable. I mean, not only do you get to smell the yeast dough baking, but you get to eat it too!
Soft and pillowy bread sticks with a crusty bottom and cheesy seasonings on top are what dreams are made of.
Normally, to find great tasting bread sticks you’d have to go out to eat or order delivery. Being able to make these breadsticks in your own home means you can eat whenever the craving strikes.
Note that that kind of power could easily kill a diet plan.
If you’re looking for something healthy to eat to make up for the carb overload, don’t worry. I have a ton of delicious healthy meals on here to counter the bread like my apple pecan salad.
That’s totally how a balanced diet works, right? 😉
- 1 3/4 Cup Warm Water
- 6 TBs Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 Tbs Active Yeast
- 2 Eggs
- 5 Cups Flour +/-
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese (in shaker bottle)
- 1 Cup Butter Divided
- 2 tsp Garlic Crushed Divided
How to Make Bread Sticks
- Place your warm water, sugar, oil, salt, and yeast in a large bowl. Gently stir and then set it aside for 10-12 minutes to allow the yeast to proof.
- In a large stand mixer with dough hook attachments add 2 cups of flour and then pour the yeast mixture into the flour. Mix to combine (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add in 2 more cups flour and then allow the mixer to mix for about 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in eggs one at a time.
- Add in 1 more cup of flour and then allow the mixer to knead it for 4-6 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the mixer. Allow it to rise for 20 minutes (or until double in size) in a warm spot. *see Instant Pot Hack below in notes.
- Melt 1/2 cup of butter and pour it into a baking sheet.
- Add 1 tsp crushed garlic and mix.
- On a floured surface roll out half of the dough into a rectangle.
- Move the dough onto a cookie sheet with the melted butter and garlic.
- Then with a pastry brush use the butter from the pan and then brush it over the top of the dough until it’s fully coated.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese over the top of the dough.
- Using a Pizza Cutter slice the dough into slices.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 13-15 minutes or until it’s golden brown.
- Repeat with other half of dough. Makes 24-30 Breadsticks
How to Proof Dough in the Instant Pot
Spray your Instant Pot liner with nonstick cooking spray and place your dough inside. Place a glass lid or large dinner plate on top.
Yeast Dough will proof in half the time in this perfectly warm environment.
Can I proof dough on the counter?
Yes, but take a few precautions. Proofing dough on the counter can sometimes be a challenge if the room or counter is cold.
Turn the heat up or lay a warm towel (like fresh from the dryer) under the bowl so that the dough can proof. While it will proof in a cold room, it will take much longer to double in size.
How many Bread Sticks will this recipe make?
This recipe could make anywhere between 24-30 breadsticks depending on the following two things. The length of time for allowing the dough to rise, and the width of the cut breadsticks.
Obviously you can get more if you make them smaller, and allow the dough to rise more.
What to serve with Breadsticks?
You can serve your breadsticks with dipping sauce and call it good. You can also serve them alongside a homemade pizza or pasta dinner.
There’s no wrong way to serve up some incredible homemade breadsticks.
What type of Flour is Best?
I use a white flour, however you can use a Bread Flour and if you have nothing else but an Unbleached regular flour, that will work too. Each will yield a little different results.
Bread Flour will give you the most light and fluffy breadsticks.
Do I need to use a Stand Mixer?
This recipe would be difficult in a hand mixer. I would recommend a larger stand mixer to mix the dough using a dough hook for best results.
It can be done with a hand mixer using a dough hook.
What Mixer do you use to mix dough?
This is a great question as I have been asked it many times. Bosch is a brand name that makes a stand mixer to make and mix all kinds of things. I’ve been using a Bosch since I was very little, which means I’ve been using one for decades. Take a look at this post and tells you why I love my Bosch Mixer!
Making Breadsticks has become a staple in our home and are made often. This recipe can easily be dressed up with additional cheeses and fresh herbs too. Just sprinkle them on before you bake.
More delicious Dough Recipes
Favorite Recipes to Serve Breadsticks With
- Instant Pot Spaghetti
- Grilled Tri Tip
- Fettuccine Alfredo
- Tuscan Chicken
- Chicken Parmesan Pasta
- Bruschetta Chicken
- 1 3/4 cup Warm Water
- 6 tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 3 tbsp Active Yeast
- 2 Eggs
- 5 Cups Flour
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese (in shaker bottle)
- 1 cup Butter Divided
- 2 tsp Garlic, Crushed Divided
- In a large bowl place warm water, sugar, oil, salt and yeast. Gently stir and set aside for 10-12 minutes to allow yeast to proof.
- In a large stand mixer with dough hooks add 2 cups flour and pour yeast mixture into flour. Mix to combine about 2-3 minutes.
- Add 2 more cups flour and allow to mix. About 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Add 1 more cup of flower and allow to knead for 4-6 minutes.
- Remove from mixer and allow to raise for 20 minutes (or until double in size) in a warm spot. *see Instant Pot Hack below in notes.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter and pour in baking sheet.
- Add 1 tsp crushed garlic and mix.
- On a floured surface roll out half the dough into a rectangle.
- Move dough onto cookie sheet with melted butter and garlic.
- Then with a pastry brush use butter from pan and brush over top of dough until fully coatedSprinkle 1/2 cup parmesan cheese over top of dough.
- Using a Pizza Cutter slice dough into slices.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining half of dough.
- Spray your Instant Pot liner with nonstick cooking spray and place your dough inside. Place a glass lid or large dinner plate on top.
- Yeast Dough will proof in half the time in this perfectly warm environment.