Sweetie Pies Mac and Cheese is the most creamy cheesy baked macaroni and cheese you will ever try. This soul food dish is iconic in St Louis and for good reason. With a recipe that dates back generations, it's truly a keeper. This copycat recipe is considered a "small batch" and ideal for the family to enjoy.
This post may contain affiliate links. Thanks for using my links! See my Disclosure Policy here.
Now who doesn't love a side of Mac and Cheese at an even meal, bbq, or even family Pot Luck Dinner. It's a welcomed recipe always. But coming up with the right recipe is also important. Let me introduce you to Sweetie Pies a restaurant diner served cafeteria style with a casual sit down environment.
I'm participating in a Blog Hop called Freaky Friday Winter Edition. Where each blogger is assigned another blogger to get to know and try one of their recipes. It's so fun!
Let me introduce you to Brandi, aka "Aunt Bee" from Aunt Bee's Recipes. She makes delicious Southern Recipes. I'm so excited to try out a few other of her recipes. Take a look at this Instant Pot Sicilian Meat Sauce, or her Apple Butter Pork Chops for the Instant Pot. WOW, they look fantastic.
I'll tell you more about Brandi below, but first I want to get back to this fantastic Sweetie Pies Mac and Cheese recipe. My daughter in law is from St. Louis, and loves Sweetie Pies. So it was a no brainer when I saw this recipe on Brandi's site.
Sweetie Pie's Mac and Cheese Recipe is famous and a must have when you order any of their served entrees of the day. With multiple types of cheese added to perfectly cooked pasta you know it will be lip licking delicious.
I love recipes that are passed down from generations. You know it's going to be good. And in this case, thousands and thousands have enjoyed this macaroni and cheese recipe over the decades.
This recipe is a step above plain Velveeta Mac and cheese and will stand up to the best Macaroni and Cheese recipes you've ever tasted. There are a few special ingredients that brings it all together. But first let me help you with a shopping list of ingredients.
Mac and Cheese Ingredients
- Elbow Noodles
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Colby Jack Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Evaporated Milk
- Whole Milk
- Seasonings: Sugar, Salt and Pepper
How to make Sweetie Pies Baked Mac and Cheese Recipe
Once I tried this recipe I was hooked. This recipe is rich and perfect when served as a side dish. A little goes a long ways so don't be fooled by the small batch. This will serve 8-10 easily as a side dish.
Cook Elbow noodles as directed on package by bringing water to a boil over medium heat and cooking for the allotted time. Al Dente pasta is best for this recipe, Do not over cook. I suggest under cooking as pasta will also bake in oven. Rinse and drain noodles and place into a large bowl.
Add cubed Velveeta cheese, butter, pre shredded cheese.
In a separate bowl combine milk and eggs along with sugar, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine ingredients and pour over hot pasta with cheese.
Stir everything together. The hot pasta will help to melt the cheese, butter and Velveeta. But don't worry if everything doesn't melt and combine. It will during the baking process.
Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and pour the Macaroni and Cheese into the casserole dish.
Optional Add In's
I love adding some of our favorite extra ingredients. So feel free to give these a try or some of your own.
Bread Crumbs on top
Use Broth when cooking the pasta - it's delicious extra flavor
Why add sour cream to mac and cheese?
Sour cream gives Macaroni and Cheese a tangy taste. It's subtle but really brings the dish together
Best Pasta for Mac and Cheese?
Traditionally Elbow Noodles are preferred but there is nothing stopping you from use a Penne or Rigatoni Pasta if you wish.
Best Cheese for Baked Macaroni and Cheese?
Velveeta will give a very creamy texture. Sharp Cheddar Cheese has a strong flavor that compliments well. Colby Jack Cheese is mild and brings the dish all together. Of course you can substitute your favorite cheeses if you choose.
In my research I found that often times Mac and Cheese is referred to as Macaroni Pie. In original recipes directions including turning the mixture of ingredients into a pie pan and baking. Macaroni Pie became a common name in many regions. This is also why you hear of Mac and Cheese Pie because of the shape of the pan it's baked in.
More about Aunt Bee's Recipes
Freaky Friday is a fun event where we get to try recipes from fellow bloggers and learn a bit more about them in the process. It's beyond fun and I love sharing other great bloggers with you.
Brandi loves cooking, her recipes all look fantastic. It was about impossible to choose just one to make and share with you.
She is a mom of 2 and they are super active in sports. I remember the days with my boys and all the practices and games. Oh those are great times. AND she loves her fur babies like I do. I think we were meant to be instant friends!
What I loved most about getting to know "Aunt Bee" is that we both focus on family friendly recipes. You can NEVER have enough great recipes. So make sure to hop on over to her site and look around. It won't disappoint!
I LOVED this recipe and so thrilled that I was able to make it. My daughter in law says it's perfect, so make sure to give this recipe a try! Oh it's good.
What to serve with Macaroni and Cheese
Mac and Cheese, or Cheesy Pasta is delicious when served with some of our favorites. So let me help you with our top 10 list ideas.
- Sloppy Joes
- Pigs in a Blanket
- Grilled Chicken
- Pork Roast
- Pork Tenderloin
- Philly Cheese Steak Pillows
Take a look at all of our 2022 Freaky Friday Winter Edition Recipes:
- An Affair from the Heart - Homemade German Chocolate Cake
- Aunt Bee's Recipes - Cafe Rio Sweet Pork
- Devour Dinner - Sweetie Pie's Mac and Cheese
- Family Around the Table - Easy Garlic Knots
- Feast + West - Chocolate Cake with Irish Buttercream
- Fresh April Flours - Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits
- The Fresh Cooky - Easy Mini King Cake Recipe with Crescent Rolls
- Hostess at Heart - Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Blondies
- House of Nash Eats - Pizza Casserole
- Kathryn's Kitchen Blog - Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Life, Love & Good Food - Cheddar Cheese Popcorn
- The Speckled Palate - Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Sue Bee Homemaker - Cornbread Tamale Pie
- Take Two Tapas - Whipped Feta Dip
- The Wimpy Vegetarian - Spinach Madeline
Sweetie Pie's Mac and Cheese
- 8 ounces Elbow Noodles
- ½ Cup Butter - Cubed
- 8 ounces Velveeta Cheese - Cubed
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese - Shredded
- 1 Cup Monterey Jack Cheese - Shredded
- 1 Cup Colby Jack Cheese - Shredded
- 12 ounce Evaporated Milk
- ½ Cup Milk
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tablespoons Sour Cream
- 1 ½ Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon White Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Additional Cheese for topping
- Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees
How to Cook Pasta
- Cook Pasta in a large pot. Bring water to a boil and then add pasta. I personally like to add a few shakes of salt and a pat of butter to season noodles while cooking.
- Follow cooking time directions on pasta box.
- Al Dente pasta is best for this recipe, Do not over cook. I suggest under cooking as pasta will also bake in oven. Rinse and drain noodles and place into a large bowl.
How to make Sweetie Pies Mac and Cheese
- In a medium bowl combine Milk, Egg, Evaporated Milk, Sour Cream, White Pepper, Salt, and Sugar.
- Whisk to combine ingredients and set aside
- Cube Velveeta and Butter and add to hot pasta
- Sprinkle shredded Cheddar, Monterey Jack and Colby Jack cheese on pasta
- Give the mixture a quick stir to evenly distribute all the cheese.
- Pour milk and egg mixture over hot pasta and stir everything together. The heat from the pasta will begin to melt cheese and butter but will not fully melt.
- Place Macaroni and Cheese into a 9x13 baking dish and top with extra cheese if desired. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes.
- Allow Macaroni and Cheese to cool for a couple minutes before serving
Optional Add In’sI love adding some of our favorite extra ingredients. So feel free to give these a try or some of your own.
- Bacon Crumbles
- Bread Crumbs on top
- Use Broth when cooking the pasta – it’s delicious extra flavor
- Cooked Sausage
All nutrition values are approximate and calculated by a plugin and are provided as a courtesy. Adding or subtracting ingredients will change the nutritional value.