BBQ Spare Ribs, a favorite recipe for so many and I know why, they are just good! I have a favorite restaurant that makes legendary fall off the bone ribs that I frequent often. I’m sort of a sucker for them actually. So any time I can find good BBQ Spare Ribs I am all over it.
The first I tried making BBQ Spare Ribs in the Instant Pot was a complete fail. I was new to the world of Pressure Cooking and really didn't know what I was doing. But I was determined to develop a recipe that my family loved.
After a number of attempts, I came up with this recipe, a combination Dry Rub and BBQ Sauce Glaze for the perfect flavors and crispy texture I was looking for in a fall off the bone Spare Rib. So let me help you make them too.
How to make BBQ Ribs
The video really does make it simple. Quickly throw together the spices in a bowl and rub them all over your spare ribs. Or use your favorite meat rub.
Then load up these ribs into the Instant Pot and pour about 10 oz of your favorite soda.
For me, that is Dr. Pepper. But you can use Coke, Rootbeer, or even a traditional Beer if you like.
Go ahead and just dump it in. The flavor will be wonderful.
Then set the Instant Pot on Pressure Cook High for 25 minutes and let it cook. It will take about 10-15 minutes to pressure up.
But no worries, you now have time to clean up the kitchen or whip up a batch of cookies.
I like to let my meat NR (Natural Release) for about 15-20 minutes before I release the rest of the pressure through the QR method.
Then place your ribs onto a cookie sheet. Don’t they look delicious?
Now it’s time to baste those babies with some good sweet BBQ Sauce. Yum!
Put a nice coating of BBQ Sauce on the Spare Ribs and place them in the oven under the broiler.
I like to use the 2nd rack down so they can broil a nice slow broil without burning. Let them cook for about 4-5 minutes and then remove them and baste them again with more BBQ Sauce.
I like to do this 3 times. But you can do them less if you need.
I just prefer to create that nice crispy coating of sauce. As the sauce heats up it begins to caramelize and it’s ooh so good.
Once you are done, the final coating is more sauce. Then slice those ribs up and you are ready to eat. Delicious! These BBQ Spare Ribs in the Instant Pot will be legendary in my home soon enough.
Remove Rib Membrane
If you want to tenderize your ribs quickly, I suggest removing the membrane. This is a process but not difficult. This will help to tenderize the meat during the cooking process. I'm grateful to the many YouTube Video's that go into detail on how to do it.
Boiled, Steamed, Grilled
Grilled Ribs will never fall off the bone, unless they have been boiled or steamed first. Fall off the Bone Ribs take time, a slow cook with lots of liquid helps keep the ribs moist while cooking and becoming tender. Grilling gives that crispy texture we all love from a Rib and will glaze any sauce that is added to it.
The Instant Pot can do all this quicker and save you hours of time. Then a few minutes in the oven to crisp up the outsides and you have a delicious Fall off the Bone Rib Recipe.
BBQ Favorite Recipes
- Grandma’s Potato Salad ~ One reader commented he won 1st place with this Potato Salad Recipe
- Loaded Baked Potato Salad
- Pistachio Fluff Salad
- Southwest Pasta Salad
- BBQ Ranch Pasta Salad
- Dorito Taco Salad
- Pepperoni Pasta Salad
- Orange Fluff Salad
BBQ Spare Ribs
- ⅓ cup Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tbs Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Salt
- 2 Tbs Sugar
- 1 Bottle BBQ Saucee - Choose your favorite BBQ Sauce
- 10 ounces Dr. Pepper - *Your Favorite Soda or Beer
- 1 rack Spare Ribs
- In a bowl mix together spices and sugar. This is your rub for your ribs.
- Rub the spice rub all over spare ribs, front and back of your ribs. You can also use your favorite meat rub if you wish. Coat the meat with the spices.
- Place ribs into Instant Pot. Pour soda or beer over ribs. Close Instant Pot lid, and make sure pressure valve is closed. Set the pot to Manual for 25 minutes. It will take 10-15 minutes to pressure up before cooking begins.
- Allow ribs to NR (Natural Release for 15-20 minutes) Then QR (Quick Release) the remaining pressure.
- Remove ribs from Instant Pot and place on cookie sheet. Baste Ribs with BBQ Sauce and place in oven on Broil. I use the 2nd rack down. Broil for 4-5 minutes and remove to baste again. I like to do this 3 times. It allows for the sauce to caramelize and get crispy without burning.
- Cut ribs and enjoy!
All nutrition values are approximate and calculated by a plugin and are provided as a courtesy. Adding or subtracting ingredients will change the nutritional value.