Mmmm mmmm. I've always loved Chocolate Chip Muffins so I thought I'd create a Chocolate Chip Pound Cake Recipe to enjoy as dessert and my eyes lit up with the velvety smooth texture of each bite. Loaded with mini chocolate chips this recipe is spot on and will curb your sweet tooth.
This post may contain affiliate links. Thanks for using my links! See my Disclosure Policy here.
For years I've been making a Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake, which has brought more smiles than I can count. It's always a favorite recipe. Adding to that I've made a Coconut Pound Cake which is another fantastic recipe to try.
But now it's time for a Chocolate Chip Pound Cake, an easy recipe that is ideal for an afternoon snack or a light dessert on the Brunch menu. And I secretly love to top a slice with fresh strawberries and whipped cream for the ultimate Strawberry Shortcake. YUM!
I'll add in the notes of the recipe card on how I make that fun dessert from this recipe. So make sure to take a look.
Ingredient List for Chocolate Chip Pound Cake Loaf
- Cream Cheese
- Chocolate Chips
- Stand Mixer OR Hand Mixer
- Mixing Bowl
- Loaf Pans or Bundt Pan
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Silicone Spatula
It's no secret how much I love my Bosch Mixer. I've been using one since I was a young child. So needless to say it's my preference when it comes to mixing but you can make this recipe with a good hand mixer and large mixing bowl.
How to make Velvety Smooth Chocolate Chip Cake
Gather all the necessary ingredients and supplies needed. I also recommend weighing the sugar and flour. This ensures that the correct amount is added. Adding too much can result in a dry pound cake and adding too little will cause additional time in baking and different texture.
Allow eggs and cream cheese and butter to come to room temperature by sitting out on the counter for about an hour.
Preheat oven and let's begin making a super moist and delicious English Cake with Chocolate chips.
Cream Butter and Cream Cheese together until smooth. Then slowly adding sugar and alternate with eggs. Allow mixture to combine before adding more.
Add vanilla and salt before carefully adding flour a little at a time at medium speed. Scrape sides of bowl as needed to fully mix together this Vanilla Chocolate Chip Cake Pound Cake recipe.
Hand stir mini Chocolate Chips into batter reserving a few to sprinkle on top before baking. It's a good idea to toss chocolate chips in 1 tablespoons of flour. This helps prevent chips from sinking to the bottom while baking.
Make sure to coat cake pans with butter and flour. This helps to remove the pound cake when baked. You can also add a piece of parchment paper to the bottom of loaf pans too.
Divide cake batter evenly into 2 loaf pans or in 1 Bundt Pan and bake
Use a toothpick inserted into the center to test for doneness. Toothpick should come out clean or with dry crumbs.
Allow to cool for a couple minutes before removing from pan to a cooling rack to cooled completely. Sprinkle Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake with a dusting of powdered sugar as garnish or leave plain.
Frequently Asked Questions
Let me help you answer those common questions that I get from others! This may help you should you have any problems while making this recipe!
How long does Pound Cake last?
Pound Cake will last 3 to 4 days while stored on the counter. Make sure to properly seal and cover so bread doesn't dry out.
Can you Freeze Pound Cake?
Freezing Chocolate Chip Pound Cake is wonderful. Enjoy one loaf now and freeze the other. Freeze for up to 3 months.
How do you Keep Pound Cake from being Dry?
Pound cake will be dry if too much flour is used. Measure ingredients properly or weigh for best results
How many cups of chocolate chips in a pound?
A 12 ounce bag of chocolate chips has 1 ½ cups. 1 pound of chocolate chips is 2.67 cups.
What is the Secret to a moist pound cake?
Using Cream Cheese, Sour Cream or Buttermilk gives more moisture and flavor to cakes. Sour Cream and Cream Cheese give a velvety richness to the flavor and texture which is delicious.
Pro Tips for making Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Chips
- Grease loaf pans with both butter or Crisco AND flour will help to release the pound cake from the pan. I also recommend this when using a bundt pan too.
- Oven Temperatures can vary. If needed cover top of pans with aluminum foil (shinny side down) to help keep the top from browning too much.
- Use a toothpick or long skewer when testing cake. If toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done!
- Use a knife to loosen edges of pound bread in loaf pan if needed.
- Toss Chocolate Chips in flour before hand stirring into batter. This helps prevent chips from sinking while baking.
- Add Orange Zest to batter with 2 Tablespoons Orange Juice for a delicious Orange Chocolate Pound Cake
This recipe is so easy and fun to enjoy. I love the smiles on the faces of my family when they smell this recipe baking and the excitement that builds until they can have a piece. Make sure to make memories around the table.
Take the time to talk, ask questions about their day, or what made them smile most recently. Those are the memories that make the biggest difference in the lives of others!
Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
- 1 ¼ Cup Butter Softened Butter
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese Softened
- 3 Cup Sugar Granulated White Sugar
- 6 Eggs Room Temperature
- 3 Cup All Purpose Flour
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ Cup Chocolate Chips Mini size
- 2 Tablespoons Powdered Sugar Dusting
- Allow Butter, Cream Cheese and Eggs to sit out for an hour to reach room temperature for best results.
- Preheat Oven to 325F Degrees
- Grease and Flour 2 Loaf Pans or 1 Bundt Pan and set aside
- In a large bowl or Stand Mixing Bowl add Butter and Cream Cheese into a bowl and beat together until light and fluffy. About 2 minutes.
- Slowly add sugar and alternate with eggs making sure to allow eggs to fully mix into batter before adding more sugar and eggs.
- Add Vanilla Extract, and Salt and mix to combine
- Little by little add flour to mixture reserving 1 tablespoon of flour to add to chocolate chips
- Toss Mini Chocolate Chips with 1 tablespoon flour this helps prevent chips from sinking to the bottom of the cake.
- Divide batter evenly between 2 loaf pans evenly or place batter into 1 Bundt Pan.
- Bake at 325F degrees for 75-80 Minutes. As every oven cooks a little different make sure to check at 70 minute mark.
- Allow Pound Cake to cool in pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack
- Before Serving dust top with powdered sugar or leave plain.
What is the Secret to a Good Pound Cake?In a nutshell and in no particular order
- Room Temperature Ingredients
- Grease and Flour Pans. Using softened butter or Crisco and dusting in flour is ideal
- Do not overbake the cake. Bake at 325F Degrees for 75-80 Minutes.
- Cool Cake in pan for 5 minutes before turning cake out
|All Purpose Flour||1 Cup||120g||4.5 oz|
|Granulated White Sugar||1 Cup||198g||7 oz|
|Brown Sugar||1 Cup Packed||213g||7.5 oz|
|Powdered Sugar||1 Cup||113g||4 oz|
|Baking Powder||1 teaspoon||6g||.25 oz|
|Baking Soda||1 teaspoon||6g||.25 oz|
|Salt||1 teaspoon||6g||.25 oz|
|Butter||1 Cup (2 Sticks)||227g||8 oz|