When Brownies and Cookies & Cream collide you get a delicious Cream Cheese Brownie or Cookies and Cream Brownie, even better..right? 10 Star votes all around when these were recipe tested. Can you blame them? Fudgy Brownies topped with cream cheese swirl and Oreo crumbles in every bit. Perfect on their own, even better chilled. Ready to make them?
This post may contain affiliate links. Thanks for using my links! See my Disclosure Policy here.
I have to say that this recipe is a favorite. My son loves Brownies and will typically make a batch late in the evening to enjoy hot. He’s even been known to take a run to the store for some ice cream to make a sundae but when I added cream cheese he was smitten. Now he regularly asks to make sure I have plenty of cream cheese on hand for his late night cravings.
I’ll answer all your questions on how to store brownies, can cream cheese be left sitting out, and can you freeze these fantastic brownies below. But first, let’s go over the ingredients you will need and how to make them.
This recipe uses a combination of semisweet chocolate chips and Dutch process cocoa to create a deep rich and fudgy brownie. It’s my Easy Brownie Recipe that we’ve all come to love and adore. And of course you will need typical pantry ingredients like all purpose flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt, eggs and vanilla. The extra ingredients you will need are:
- Cream Cheese
- Oreo Cookies
I love when a recipe is simple. Don’t you? Mmmm, this is going to be fantastic. I make this recipe in 2 large mixing bowls. The clean-up is easy.
How to make Cookies and Cream Brownies
Follow along, this is so simple that your kids can come help. In a large mixing bowl melt butter and chocolate chips in the microwave. Stir melted butter with chocolate chips until smooth. Then add eggs and vanilla. Mix together. It’s pretty simple.
Add the dry ingredients and I do recommend weighing the ingredients. That way you will have the same fudgy brownies that I make. Stir all together until smooth.
Line a 9×9 or 8x8in baking pan with parchment paper and spread about 2/3 of the brownie batter into the pan. If you miss this step and put it all in the pan, don’t panic. It’s a brownie. It’s going to taste great regardless.
In a separate bowl using a hand mixer combine cream cheese, an egg and a little sugar and mix together. This is going to be poured over the brownie batter in the pan. Then dollop the remaining batter on top. Using a knife swirl the batter into the cream cheese mixture. It’s not pretty but the Oreos will cover it up.
Hand crush Oreos over top having some large pieces and some crumbled. Bake in a preheated oven. The hardest part is waiting for these brownies to cool. Have patience and wait. I promise it does help.
Once brownies are completely cooled, cut with a sharp knife into 16 pieces. That’s 4 equal rows by 4 rows. If you want larger brownies cut 4x3rows. You get the idea.
I personally love these brownies chilled but I know that my family loves to dive in as soon as I cut them. Here are a few tips for storing the brownies to keep them fresh.
How to store Cookies and Cream Brownies
Brownies are best when stored in a sealed container or zip-loc bag. I do recommend separating layers of brownies with parchment paper. AND should be stored in refrigerator.
Can you freeze Cookies and Cream Brownies
You bet you can! Freeze brownies in a full slab or as individual brownies. Make sure to wrap cooled brownies in parchment paper and seal with plastic wrap or in a zip-loc bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Can I make Cookies & Cream brownies using a mix?
You can make cream cheese brownies topped with Oreo’s using a mix like Betty Crocker or Duncan Heinz. Follow the directions on the brownie box to make them and top with the cream cheese mixture found in the recipe card below. Bake as directed
This Cookies and Cream Brownies from scratch recipe will be a favorite I’m sure. And don’t hesitate to dress is up with M&M’s, chocolate chips, or even caramel pieces. Yum!
National Cream Cheese Brownie Day is February 10th. How will you celebrate?
More Brownie Recipes
- Blonde Brownies
- Black Forrest Brownie
- Best Fudgy Brownie
- Halloween Brownie
- Mummy Brownie
- Brownie Cookies
- Peanut Butter Brownie
- Brownie Kabobs
Cookies and Cream Brownies
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/4 Cup Chocolate Chips Semisweet
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 eggs large
- 3/4 Cup Flour 94g
- 1/2 Cup Sugar 100g
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar 100g
- 1/3 Cup Dutch Process Cocoa 33g
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
Cream Cheese Mixture
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 8-10 Oreo Cookies Broken and crumbled
- In a large mixing bowl melt butter and chocolate chips in microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and melt for 30 seconds more. Stir until butter is fully melted
- In a smaller bowl combine flour, brown sugar, white sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Mix to combine.
- Mix eggs and vanilla to butter and chocolate mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Hand stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until fully combined.
- Spread about 2/3 brownie batter into a 9x9in or 8x8in parchment lined pan and reserve the remaining brownie mixture.
Cream Cheese Mixture Topping
- In a separate bowl mix together softened cream cheese with egg and sugar until smooth.
- Spread mixture on top of brownie batter in 9x9in pan. Then dolloping remaining brownie mixture on top of cream cheese mixture.
- With a knife swirl brownie dollops into cream cheese mixture and top with broken Oreo Cookies
- Bake at 350F Degrees for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean
- Allow to cool in pan for 5 mins before lifting brownies out using parchment paper and allow to fully cool for 30 minutes before slicing.
- Store in sealed container. Refrigerate after serving
- Milk Chocolate Chips for Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- Baking Cocoa Powder for Dutch Process Cocoa
- Adding an extra egg will result in cake-like brownies