Rich, decadent, and creamy, Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball is the perfect dessert recipe for parties, potlucks or family gatherings. The ingredients create a consistency almost like cookie dough, but creamier. Serve with Nilla Wafers or Graham crackers.
This post may contain affiliate links. Thanks for using my links! See my Disclosure Policy here.
Recipe first seen on Savory Experiments where I contribute Content and Photos
This sweet twist on the original cheese ball is one of my favorites to serve at parties because they're eye-catching, delicious, and can be customized with several flavor combinations. Dessert cheese balls are perfect for either a small party or a dessert spread.
Dessert balls will need at least one hour to chill. OR I like to chill overnight and finish with mini-chocolate chips when I’m ready. Allow your dessert to soften for fifteen minutes before your guests arrive, and then watch as they stand right by your dessert for dip after dip!
Shopping List for Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball
- Cream Cheese - The key is making sure you use room temperature cream cheese. This allows it to blend smoothly.
- Butter - Room Temperature Butter
- Powdered Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Chocolate Chips - I prefer mini chocolate chips, but if you are in a bind, regular will work.
How to Make Dessert Cheese Ball
Begin by making sure the butter and cream cheese are room temperature. This will ensure the cheeseball is smooth and creamy when mixed together.
Step 1: In a mixing bowl using a hand mixer mix softened cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, brown sugar and vanilla until smooth.
Step 2: Hand mix mini chocolate chips into cheeseball
Step 3: To form Cheeseball place mixture onto parchment paper or plastic wrap and form and shape into a ball using your hands and then tightly wrap
Step 4: Place formed Cheese Ball into the refrigerator to firm for at least 1 hour.
Step 5: When ready to serve, remove from the refrigerator and remove parchment paper or plastic wrap. Press mini chocolate chips around the outside of the cheeseball.
Step 6: Allow to sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes to soften before serving.
Served with Graham Crackers, Nilla Wafers, Ginger Cookies, Wafer Cookies, Apple Wedges, or even a spoon!
Tip: Recipe can be made in advance and store sealed in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
What do you serve with a dessert cheese ball?
For this sweet cheese ball, there are lots of delicious options! Here are some of our favorites, but feel free to try other ideas as well:
- Nilla Wafers
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Graham Crackers
- Wafer Cookies
- Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Graham Crackers
- Gingersnap Cookies
- Oatmeal Cookies
- Apple Slices
- Oreo Cookies
- Animal Crackers
- Shortbread Cookies
- Ritz Crackers
Don't stop here, add some fun mix ins for an even tastier treat. Mix ½-3/4 cup of Chopped Pecans, Toffee Bits, or even Peanut Butter chips. Your tastebuds will go wild with this super easy dessert cheese ball recipe.
- Chopped Pecans
- Toffe Bits
- Holiday M&M''s
- Peanut Butter Chips
- Graham Cracker Crumbs
- Puffed Rice Cereal
Making Chocolate Chip Cheese ball Recipe for the Holidays has always been a favorite. And I've found that picky eaters and children love the dessert cheese ball and the many offerings to dip into it.
You had and tried Buckeyes I'm sure, If not take a look at this easy Pretzel Buckeyes recipe. Buckeyes are a Creamy Peanut Butter filling dipped in chocolate. So why not enjoy it like a dip. This Cheese Ball Recipe is also a copycat recipe for Buckeye Dip. It's delicious.
You can make it 24 hours in advance, so it’s great for meal planning! After serving, it will need to be wrapped up with a piece of plastic wrap and stored inside of an airtight container. Whenever you aren’t serving it, be sure to keep it refrigerated. Melted cream cheese will make a gooey mess if it doesn’t stay chilled.
When serving, never let the chocolate chip cheese ball sit out longer than 2 hours or it will begin to spoil. If it’s going to be sitting out longer than that, be sure to keep it on ice so it stays cold.
Otherwise, leftovers will last 1-2 days in the fridge if it’s kept airtight.
Can you freeze?
Yes, surprisingly you can freeze it! It’s vital that you wrap it up very tightly and put it in a freezer bag or container. It will last 1-2 months in the freezer.
Keep in mind, if you don’t store it airtight, it can get freezer burn, which will hinder the flavor tremendously.
Additionally, freezing does change the texture slightly. It’s best to thaw it in the fridge before serving.
More Fantastic Recipes Dessert
- Homemade Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Oreo Rice Krispies Treats
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
- Chocolate Reese’s Chip Cookies
It's time to start planning our holiday parties we all need some delicious and festive recipes to serve! Check out all these amazing holiday appetizers as part of the #FavoritePartyFood blogging event hosted by Jennifer from Take Two Tapas
FAVORITE PARTY FOODS
- Jalapeno Popper Cheese Ball from Take Two Tapas
- Pumpkin White Russian Cocktail from Michaela at An Affair from the Heart
- Slow Cooker Jalapeno Popper Dip from Ashley at Cheese Curd in Paradise
- Gingerbread Bundt Cake from Julie at Hostess at Heart
- Beer Cheese and Bacon Ball from Christie at A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Pizza Dip from Kathryn at Kathryn's Kitchen Blog
- Snowman Cheese Ball from Liz at Eat Move Make
- Cranberry Cream Cheese Dip from Kathleen at The Fresh Cooky
- Spinach and Roasted Red Pepper Hummus from Audrey at That Recipe
- Gingerbread Martini from Coleen at The Redhead Baker
- Mini Cheeseball Truffles from Teri at Our Good Life
- Everything Bagel Mini Pigs in a Blanket from Lisa at Blogghetti
- Cheese and Bacon Stuffed Potato Skins from Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball from Rebecca at Devour Dinner
- 4 Minute Spicy Garlic Shrimp from Sue at Palatable Pastime
- Easy Italian Meatball Appetizer from Inger at Art of Natural Living
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates from Erin at The Spiffy Cookie
- Prosciutto Wrapped Mozzarella and Bacon from Karen at Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Caprese Cups from Radha at Magical Ingredients
Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball (Buckeye Dip)
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese Softened
- ⅓ Cup Butter Softened
- ¾ Cup Powdered Sugar
- ⅓ Cup Brown Sugar
- ½ teaaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
What to Serve with Dessert Cheese Ball
- Nilla Wafers
- Graham Crackers
- Apple Slices
- In a mixing bowl using a hand mixer mix softened cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, brown sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Hand mix mini chocolate chips into cheeseball
- To form Cheeseball place mixture onto parchment paper or plastic wrap and form and shape into a ball using your hands and then tightly wrap
- Place formed Cheese Ball into the refrigerator to firm for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to serve, remove from the refrigerator and remove parchment paper or plastic wrap. Press mini chocolate chips around the outside of the cheeseball.
- Allow to sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes to soften before serving.
- Served with Graham Crackers, Nilla Wafers, Ginger Cookies, Wafer Cookies, Apple Wedges, or even a spoon!