Thanksgiving meals are all about the side dishes and a delicious homemade stuffing recipe is always top on my list. How about I help you make a mouthwatering Sourdough Stuffing loaded with fresh herbs. Mmmm, Mmmm good.
This post may contain affiliate links. Thanks for using my links! See my Disclosure Policy here.
I’m pretty sure as a kid I turned my nose up to stuffing and I have no idea why. It could have been the variety of breads used, or the hidden ingredients that I wasn’t sure I liked. If I could only go back in time and do it better as a kid. This and Pecan Pie would be top on my list for sure.
We love to make the quick and easy Stove Top Pecan and Craisin stuffing recipe. It’s a crowd pleaser and has graced our table many man years. But go ahead and try this recipe because I’ll prove to you why this is hands down a fantastic recipe that you will love.
Herb stuffing combined with sourdough is a wow to your taste buds. If you can get ahold of my favorite Boudin Sourdough, grab it! But otherwise grab a loaf from your local bakery.
Do yourself a favor working up to the big holiday meal celebration and let’s get this bread tried out. Slice the loaf in ½in slices and then each slice into ½ inch cubes. Bake bread on baking sheets for about an hour to dry bread cubes out and allow to completely cool. Then store in a large Ziploc bag until your event or place in a large bowl to cool and make stuffing the same day.
Sourdough Loaf: This is about a 1 to 1 ½ pound loaf or round. Make it fresh, buy it from the bakery it will all be fantastic.
Broth: I love Swanson Broth. A Chicken or Vegetable broth is perfect
Herbs: Fresh Sage, Thyme, Parsley and Rosemary.
Vegetables: Onions and Celery and garlic too.
Other: Eggs, they will help to bind everything together
How to make Sourdough Bread Stuffing
Follow the Pro Tip above and slice and cube bread into ½ inch cubes. Bake in oven for about an hour to dry bread out nicely. It’s nice to toss bread cubes half way through just to help the process of drying the bead.
Allow bread to cool completely before storing for later. If you are drying bread on the same day as making the recipe, it’s still a good idea to allow bread to cool too.
In a skillet over medium to high heat saute diced onions and celery in a little melted butter. Onions should soften and turn transparent and celery will also soften while stirring occasionally. Then add a little garlic and saute. Then turn off heat.
Meanwhile chop herbs. It may seem like a lot, but the amounts are perfect. I like to use Sage, Thyme, Parsley and Rosemary. However you could also add fresh Basil and Oregano if you wish too.
Add chopped fresh herbs to sautéed vegetables and give a good mix. The heat from the onions and celery will soften the herbs nicely. Dried herbs can be used if needed.
In a large mixing bowl combine herb mixture to bread cubes and give a good stir to mix everything together.
Mix eggs with chicken broth in a separate bowl and season with salt and pepper then pour over bread cubes and gently stir. I find it best to drizzle liquid all over this Homemade Stuffing Recipe before stirring.
If you feel the stuffing is to dry, try adding a little bit more broth. But you do not want to over saturate the bread.
Pour Sourdough Stuffing Recipe into a 9x13 baking dish and bake. When finished the tops will be golden brown and a little crispy. And the smell is out of this world good.
We all love other ideas of great add-ins so I’ve got you covered. Try choosing one of these or even multiple if you wish.
- Ground Sausage
Holiday Menu Recipe Ideas
The complete printable recipe is listed below in the Recipe Card, so make sure to check out all those details. I want to make sure you have all the recipes you need for the big Thanksgiving Dinner Holiday. In my home we serve both Turkey and Ham and I love making Ham in the Instant Pot. Sweet or savory both recipes can be found in this Instant Pot Ham Recipe.
No table is complete without some mashed potatoes. Try Sweet Potato Mash. It’s fantastic as is but who doesn’t love a little drizzle of honey with a dollop of whipped butter on top. A Garlic Mashed Potato is also fantastic and a classic choice.
Pies, Hands down, make an Egg Nog Pie. This is one of my most popular recipes on my site and for good reason. Just trust me here. We also love the Sour Cream Lemon, Pecan Pie, Oatmeal Chocolate Chip, Buttermilk Pie, and Chocolate Symphony pie.
How to use Homemade Bread Stuffing
Leftover Stuffing is great served as a leftover. Try making this easy Turkey Crescent Ring. Is it bad that I secretly save some stuffing for this recipe? I do. You don’t need much but it really does make a difference in this fun lunch the day after.
Storing Herb Stuffing Recipe
Store leftovers in a sealed container or even Zip-loc bag in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Apple & Caramelized Onion Pretzel Stuffing from The Spiffy Cookie
- Cornbread Dressing from Hostess At Heart
- Oyster Cornbread Dressing from Art of Natural Living
- Sausage and Apple Stuffing Muffins from Jen Around the World
- Sausage and Mushroom Stuffing from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Slow Cooker Sausage Stuffing from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Sourdough Andouille Dressing from That Recipe
- Sourdough Stuffing from Devour Dinner
- Whole Roasted Chicken with Stuffing from Palatable Pastime
- 1 Loaf Sourdough Bread
- ½ cup Butter
- 1 cup Yellow Onion Diced
- 3 stalks Celery Diced
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Crushed
- ½ cup Parsley Chopped
- ¼ cup Rosemary Chopped
- ¼ cup Sage Chopped
- ¼ cup Thyme Chopped
- 1 ½ cup Chicken Broth
- 2 Eggs Large
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
Cube Bread and Dry Bread
- Slice the loaf in ½in slices and then each slice into ½ inch cubes.
- Bake bread at 200F Degrees on baking sheets for about an hour to dry bread cubes out and allow to completely cool
- Then store in a large Ziploc bag until your event or place in a large bowl to cool and make stuffing the same day.
- In a skillet over medium to high heat saute diced onions and celery in melted butter.
- Then add a little garlic and saute. Then turn off heat.
- Chop fresh herbs and set aside
- Add chopped herbs to sautéed vegetables and mix to combine. Allowing the residual heat to soften herbs
- In a large mixing bowl combine herb mixture to bread cubes and give a good stir to mix everything together.
- Mix eggs with chicken broth in a separate bowl and season with salt and pepper then pour over bread cubes and gently stir. I find it best to drizzle liquid all over this Homemade Stuffing Recipe before stirring.
- If you feel the stuffing is to dry, try adding a little bit more broth. But you do not want to over saturate the bread.
- Pour Sourdough Stuffing Recipe into a 9×13 baking dish and bake for 40 minutes. When finished the tops will be golden brown and a little crispy.
- Serve Hot
Additional Add-insWe all love other ideas of great add-ins so I’ve got you covered. Try choosing one of these or even multiple if you wish.
- Ground Sausage