Crispy, caramelized and so easy to make, Air Fryer Butternut Squash is a great side dish recipe loaded with nutrients in this sweet nutty flavored winter squash.
This post may contain affiliate links. Thanks for using my links! See my Disclosure Policy here.
With a simple recipe and only a few ingredients, making winter squash in the air fryer will taste roasted in no time at all. It's delicious as a weekday side dish to compliment any meal and wonderful served at a holiday table.
The natural flavors come shining through and I love the crispy caramelized flavors. I have some tips to making and preparing a Butternut Squash. It really can be pretty simple.
Choosing a Butternut Squash
When choosing a squash, look for one that does not have cuts or bruises. The outside should be a solid light tan color. Brown patches or puncture holes are a sign to stay away. The squash should feel heavy for the size.
Determining if a squash is ripe can be done by looking at the outside rind. Green spots are an indication that it is not yet ripe. The outer skin or rind should be firm and hard. It also should not be glossy but dull in color.
How to Peel and Cut a Butternut Squash
Trust me when I say it's possible to cut your fingers when peeling the thick skin off a winter squash. I prefer to slice the top off with a sharpe knife. Then using a potato peeler, peel the squash. The thick skin will peel in long ribbons.
Once peeled slice squash in half lengthwise opening the inside with all the seeds. Scoop out the seeds using a spoon and discard.
Slice each half into 3 or 4 slices lengthwise and cube slices into 1 inch cubes perfect for air frying or roasting.
How to Season Squash
This recipe is simple. Using Salt and Pepper along with some extra virgin olive oil is perfect. Toss cubes with Olive Oil and Salt and Pepper and place in a preheated air fryer.
Butternut Squash in Air Fryer
Set cook time for 20 minutes and place cubes in a preheated air fryer basket. Shake every 5 minutes and continue cooking to ensure a roasted butternut squash.
Squash is done when the outsides are crispy and caramelized and inside is soft and tender. Serve immediately.
This air fryer butternut squash recipe is gluten free as listed. There are a number of additional add-ins that can change this recipe. So always check ingredients for allergies or food requests.
With it's naturally sweet flavor especially when roasted or air fried I'm not sure why it's not made more often. I also enjoy making Butternut Squash Soup. It's savory when complimented with additional add-ins.
- bacon crumbles
- brown sugar
- toasted pecans
Make sure to check out these other fantastic Holiday Side Dish Recipes from some fellow bloggers. They all look so delicious.
Here's more Side Dish Recipes:
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash from Devour Dinner
- Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Black Eyed Pea Casserole from Leftovers Then Breakfast
- Bourbon Pecan Sweet Potatoes from Cookaholic Wife
- Brussels Sprouts with Smoked Almonds and Manchego Cheese from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Carrot Peanut Slaw from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Cauliflower au Gratin from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Cheesy Mashed Potato Puffs from Blogghetti
- Chive Buttered Carrots from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Hassleback Potatoes from Jen Around the World
- Hearts of Palm Salad from Art of Natural Living
- Loaded Green Bean Casserole from Sweet Beginnings
- Potatoes and Green Beans/Aloo Beans Curry from Magical Ingredients
- Potatoes Au Gratin from An Affair from the Heart
- Southern Collard Greens (Instant Pot) from Palatable Pastime
- Sweet Potatoes with Candied Pecans from Kate's Recipe Box
Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 1-2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Oilive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Slice top off squash and use a potato peeler to peel rind
- Cut squash down middle lengthwise to expose seeds. Use a spoon to scape out seeds and discard.
- Slice each half into 3-4 slices. Then cut each slice into 1inch cubes
- In a bowl season squash cubes with olive oil and salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Preheat Air Fryer to 400F degrees for 5 minutes
- Set cook time to 18-22 Minutes making sure to shake basket every 5 minutes
- Butternut squash is fully cooked with the outsides are caramelized and crispy and the inside is soft and fluffy
- Serve hot