All the Fall flavors come together in this delicious Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup Recipe. It’s both creamy, and savory and warms the soul in this delicious soup. Filled with Butternut Squash, Caramelized Onions, Celery, Carrots, and Apples and seasoned with Sage, Thyme, Garlic, Salt and Pepper. We give it a 10 out of 10 and even the grand baby adores this recipe.
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to help in the creation of the #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
I love making this easy Fall soup in my Instant Pot because in a fraction of the time, I can be enjoying a hot bowl. The Instant Pot not only helps to cook quicker under pressure but it also makes the ingredients taste like they have slow simmered all day long for delicious flavor.
It’s delicious to top with bacon, toasted pistachios, Craisins, and even a drizzle of heavy cream. Trust, when I say the toppings add an additional party in your mouth and it’s delicious.
Let me help you make this soup quick and easily with a number of tips. Butternut Squash is a delicious vegetable that can be served many ways from roasting in cubes or even roasting in halves, It can also be prepared in the Slow Cooker or Crock Pot and even the Instant Pot. Butternut Squash is rich in vitamins and minerals. It has a sweet nutty flavor which is why it’s so good when served with nuts like pistachios or pecans.
Soups are among my favorite recipes in the Fall and Winter. Make sure to also take a look at these other fantastic Soup Recipes
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Chicken Taco Soup
- Cauliflower Soup
- Tomato Basil Soup
- Split Pea Soup
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup
Shopping List for Butternut Squash Soup
- Bacon ~ Choose thick bacon
- Sweet Onion ~ Substitute Yellow Onion if desired
- Butter ~ Substitute Olive Oil if desired
- Garlic ~ Diced or Minced
- Sage leaves
- Fresh Thyme
- Butternut Squash
- Large Carrots OR Baby Carrots
- Granny Smith Apple
- Chicken Broth
- Whipping Cream
How to make Butternut Squash Soup
Begin by gathering ingredients and preparing work surface. I like to wash and dice, cube, or chop ingredients so I can throw everything into the Instant Pot easily.
Slice bacon into small bite size pieces. It’s easiest to cut bacon when it’s cold. Keep slices together and slice through at once. Quick and easy.
Is there a Trick to Peeling Butternut Squash?
I’m glad you asked, Yes, there is. Place squash in microwave for about 2 to 2 ½ minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes so you can handle easily. Then using a potato peeler, peel the tough outer skin of the squash. The softened skin will easily peel. Slice squash open and using a large spoon scoop out seeds and discard. Dice in 1 inch cubes for soup recipe.
How to make Butternut Squash Continued
Dice Onions and Celery, Peel and chop apple and carrots and set aside.
Heat Instant Pot on Saute until it reads Hot. Add Butter and sliced bacon. Cook bacon until well cooked.
Remove bacon and add diced onions. Allow onions to cook until caramelized and translucent. Add Garlic, sage leaves and fresh thyme. Stir and allow to sauté for a minute. Turn Instant Pot Off.
Remove caramelized onions and herbs. Add ½ cup broth to deglaze bottom of Instant Pot. Using a flat wooden spoon scrape any stuck bits from bottom making sure the bottom is clear before proceeding.
Add diced celery, carrots, apple, butternut squash and remaining chicken broth and pressure cook for 12 minutes. Quick Release pressure and open lid.
Remove Thyme sprigs and Sage leaves. Using an immersion blender blend ingredients. Add ½ cup whipping cream and continue to blend until smooth.
Garnish with cooked bacon, Craisins, Chives, and a drizzle of whipping cream if desired. Serve Hot.
Can Butternut Squash Soup be Frozen?
Allow soup to cool and Freeze Soup in single servings in Zip-Loc bags for up to 6 months.
Store soup in refrigerator for up to a week. Soup can be reheated on stove over medium heat or in microwave until desired temperature is reached.
Can you Eat Butternut Squash Raw?
Butternut Squash can be eaten raw. Slice or shave into ribbons. Squash can be marinated and used in salads or vegetable trays.
I received a huge box of fresh produce including fruits and vegetables from Melissa’s Produce. I live in a rural area that enjoys winter for many months. With short growing seasons finding quality fresh produce is difficult. I loved my box of produce and can’t wait to order more.
In this recipe I used Butternut Squash, Sweet Onions, Carrots and Apples which were all delicious on their own and added to the fantastic flavors in this homemade soup recipe.a Rafflecopter giveaway
More #FallFlavors Recipes Below:
Appetizers and Snacks
- Caramel Pecan Clusters from An Affair from the Heart
- Carrot Top Hummus from Savory Moments
- Fall Charcuterie Board from Magical Ingredients
- Roasted Red Pepper and Crab Savory Cheesecake from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet And Spicy Roasted Nuts from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Breakfast and Baked Goods
- Apple Cranberry Pecan Overnight Oats from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Cinnamon Apple Bread from Lemon Blossoms
- Sweet Potato Pancakes from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Soups and Salads
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup from Devour Dinner
- Panera Autumn Squash Soup from The Fresh Cooky
- Salmon Salad With Grapes And Pecans from Art of Natural Living
- Apple Butter Dijon Roasted Brussel Sprouts With Candied Pecans And Green Apple from Soulfully Made
- Butternut Squash And Bacon Risotto from SueBee Homemaker
- Loaded Bacon And Kale Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts And Butternut Squash from Eat Move Make
- Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash from Hostess At Heart
- Apple Cider Rubbed Pork Chops from That Recipe
- Thai Butternut Squash Curry from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Butternut Squash Parmesan Pasta from Frugal & Fit
- Grape & Gorgonzola Pizza from The Spiffy Cookie
- Honey Dijon Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner from Simple and Savory
- How To Air Fry Pork Tenderloin With Sweet Potatoes from West Via Midwest
- Butter Pecan Fudge from Take Two Tapas
- Cinnamon Roll Cheesecake from Fresh April Flours
- Easy Apple Crisp from Life Love and Good Food
- Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies from Books n’ Cooks
- French Apple Tart from Jen around the world
- Individual Grape Crumble from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Roll from House of Nash Eats
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodles from Family Around The Table
- Slow Cooker Apple Pear Crisp from Blogghetti
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- 6 Slices Bacon Thick
- 1/2 Cup Sweet Onion Diced
- 3 Clove Garlic Minced
- 3-4 Sage Leaves Fresh
- 3-4 Sprigs Thyme Fresh
- 2 1/2- 3 Pounds Butternut Squash
- 2-3 Carrots Or 20 Baby Carrots
- 2 Stalks Celery
- 1 Granny Smith Apple
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 3/4 Cup Whipping Cream Divided
- Green Onions
- Cooked Bacon
- Slice bacon into small bite size pieces and set aside
- Peel, Chop, Dice, and/or Cube Butternut Squash, Apple, Onion, Celery, and Carrots. Set aside
- Heat Instant Pot on Saute until it reads Hot. Add sliced bacon. Cook bacon until well cooked and remove.
- Add diced onions. Allow onions to cook until caramelized and translucent. Add Garlic, sage leaves and fresh thyme. Stir and allow to sauté for a minute. Turn Instant Pot Off and remove ingredients from Instant Pot.
Deglaze Instant Pot
- Add 1/2 cup water to Instant Pot and use a flat wooden spoon or silicone spatula to scrape bottom of liner. Discard liquid and stuck bits
- Add diced celery, carrots, apple, butternut squash and chicken broth and pressure cook for 12 minutes. Quick Release pressure and open lid.
- Remove Thyme sprigs and Sage leaves. Using an immersion blender blend ingredients. Add ½ cup whipping cream and continue to blend until smooth.
- Garnish with cooked bacon, Craisins, Chives, and a drizzle of whipping cream if desired. Serve Hot.
Is there a Trick to Peeling Butternut Squash?I’m glad you asked, Yes, there is. Place squash in microwave for about 2 to 2 ½ minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes so you can handle easily. Then using a potato peeler, peel the tough outer skin of the squash. The softened skin will easily peel. Slice squash open and using a large spoon scoop out seeds and discard. Dice in 1 inch cubes for soup recipe.
Can Butternut Squash Soup be Frozen?Allow soup to cool and Freeze Soup in single servings in Zip-Loc bags for up to 6 months. Store soup in refrigerator for up to a week. Soup can be reheated on stove over medium heat or in microwave until desired temperature is reached.
Welcome to #FallFlavors where more than 25 food bloggers are sharing recipes with favorite Fall flavors. Our sponsors, Millican Pecan, Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Taylor & Colledge, Nairn’s, and Republic of Tea, have furnished participating bloggers with complimentary product to use in their recipe creations that they will be sharing this week. These same sponsors have generously offered prizes for our giveaway so be sure to enter and share with your friends so they can enter too. Be sure to follow our Fall Flavors Pinterest account for more inspiration.
Prize 1: Texas Pecan Candy Basket from Millican Pecan
The Millican Pecan Texas Pecan Candy Basket is loaded with a variety of pecan gifts. Includes 6 Milk Chocolate Pecan Clusters, 6 Milk Chocolate Caramillicans (similar to Turtles), 6 White Chocolate Caramillicans, 6 Pecan Pralines, and a 1/2 lb. Bag of Flavored Pecans! Every bit DELICIOUS! A $75 value.
Prize 2: Williams Sonoma Cleartouch Nonstick 6-Piece Bakeware Set from Dixie Crystals
Perfect for the occasional baker, our entry-level collection features a sturdy nonstick silicone coating at a great value. Aluminized steel, the material of choice for professional bakers, provides excellent heat transfer for even baking, so food turns out beautifully and releases easily, every time. 6-Piece Set includes: Half-sheet pan, 12-cup muffin pan, round cake pan, square cake pan, rectangular cake pan, loaf pan. An $80 value.
Prize 3: 3 Month Melissa’s Produce Gift Subscription
A stunning selection of the most delicious produce will be delivered once a month for 3 months. At Melissa’s, the produce is selected at their peak of perfection and packed by hand to ensure safe arrival. A $124 value.
Prize 4: A Red Dancing Leaves Teapot and a tin of Hot Apple Cider Tea from The Republic of Tea
Let the aroma of fresh apple and mulled cider spices envelop you as you sip this golden infusion. The crisp, lingering finish will leave you wanting more! A naturally-caffeine free blend of apples, cinnamon cloves and ginger. Reminiscent of apple cider, with the luscious aroma of cinnamon and cloves, make this cup the perfect accompaniment to the colors of the harvest season.
Embossed, windswept leaves whirl across this 20 oz ceramic teapot. Includes a stainless steel infuser. An exclusive design by The Republic of Tea. A $44 value
Prize 5: A selection of six flavors of Oat Crackers from Nairn’s
One winner will receive a box of each Nairn’s Original, Chocolate Chip, Stem Ginger Oat Grahams, Caramelized Onions, Rosemary & Sea Salt Flatbreads, and Oat Cracker. Nairn’s has been baking oats since 1896. They use simple, natural, and wholesome ingredients in their products. Minimum $25 value
Prize 6: A Selection of extracts from Taylor and Colledge.
One winner will receive a selection of extracts to include vanilla bean, almond, lemon, and lavender. In 1897, Taylor & Colledge won its first award for excellence in vanilla. Since then, the Taylor & Colledge commitment for unsurpassed quality has earned its reputation as one of the world’s finest producers of vanilla. Minimum of $25 valueSix (6) winners will be randomly selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Bloggers are not responsible for prize fulfillment. Winners have 24 hours to respond once notified by email, or they forfeit the prize and an alternate winner will be chosen. The #FallFlavors bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members living in the household cannot enter or win the giveaway. Entries will be verified. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age or older to enter giveaway and the contest is open only to US residents. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #FallFlavors posts or entries. Thank you to our sponsors Millican Pecan Company, Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Taylor & Colledge, Republic of Tea, and Nairn’s for providing prizes.