Decadent and delicious this easy chocolate mousse recipe is a quick easy desserts recipe that everyone will love. With only 3 Ingredients it's truly a Heavy Whipping Cream Recipe and can be used for fillings in cakes, a surprise inside of cupcakes, or serve chilled as a rich and creamy mousse dessert.
This post may contain affiliate links. Thanks for using my links! See my Disclosure Policy here.
I love chocolate and could eat chocolate for days, making this easy mousse recipe is always welcome in my home. It's so quick and easy in a matter of minutes you can be enjoying this sweet dessert and making memories with your family or friends.
I love to serve in a chocolate cup which are so easy to make. I'll show you step by step how I do it so you can too! It's fun to make a chocolate cup specific to the holidays too. For Valentines Day make a chocolate heart cup, In the Fall it's fun to make a pumpkin chocolate cup and for Christmas a Tree shaped cup is ideal.
To keep things simple, you can also make a sphere cup. I use this chocolate bomb mould when making a ball or sphere shape.
Shopping List needed for Dark Chocolate Mousse
- Whipping Cream: Heavy is best and I prefer a name brand whipping cream
- Chocolate: Dutch Process Cocoa or a Hershey's Cocoa will do
- Sugar: Powdered Sugar
- Extract: Vanilla Extract (optional)
How to make Chocolate Mousse Cups
It's optional to make Chocolate Cups, it's a fun way to serve your dessert but won't change how easy it is to make this easy mousse recipe.
Ingredients: Dark Chocolate Chips
Melt chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds and stir. Heat for an additional 30 seconds and stir. If more time is needed reduce to 15 seconds and stir until chips are melted.
Using a spoon or a pastry brush coat inside of silicone mould making sure to cover entirely and up to the rip of the chocolate mould.
Chill mould in refrigerator or freezer until firm.
Add a second layer of chocolate mould making a thicker edge as needed.
Once chilled, carefully stretch the edge of the silicone mould to release the top making it easier to pop out the sphere, or shape. Carefully press up on the bottom pushing the hardend chocolate out of the mould and place on baking sheet.
Congrats! You did it. Wasn't that easy? It sure was, now you might also want to try making Hot Chocolate Bombs a fun and tasty treat for so many occasions.
Let's make 3 Ingredient Chocolate Mousse
Measure Cocoa Powder and Powdered Sugar and set aside. I love using a Dutch Process Cocoa Powder in this recipe, however you can also use a Hershey's Cocoa Powder. Keep in mind the color won't be as dark in color and will give you a lighter chocolate flavor but will still be delicious.
In a large mixing bowl add Heavy Whipping Cream. Not all whipping cream is created equal. I do prefer a name brand Heavy Whipping Cream for this recipe. I find it whips up nicely and holds it's shape well.
Store Brands often don't whip as thick and tend to deflate easily. So choose a good name brand Heavy cream for best results.
Using a hand mixer, whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add powdered Sugar and cocoa and optional exact and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
Serve in bowls, or make fun Chocolate cups for a truly
Chocolate Dessert Recipes
If you love chocolate the way I do, then please try these other delicious Chocolate Dessert Recipes. I have to say, they are all fantastic! From No-Bake Pies, Muffins and even a flourless Chocolate Cake. Yum!
You will be licking your lips and going back for more. In no particular order, but trust me give them all a try!
- Symphony Chocolate Pie
- Frozen Hot Chocolate
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Pie
Holiday Silicone Moulds
Just to make it easy for your I have put together a list of Silicone moulds that you can use to make this recipe extra special! Of course this isn't necessary as this recipe can easily be served in a small bowl but it sure is fun and trust me, your family will love it too.
Be sure to Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube for the Latest Recipes, Tips and Tricks, and creative menu ideas!
What does Chocolate Mousse taste like?
Chocolate Mousse is a mix between a Chocolate Ganache and a Chocolate Pudding. It's like enjoying a light fluffy chocolate cloud. Making Homemade Whipped Cream is the key. Just remember to not over mix or you will have some real tasty butter.
How to Garnish
Chocolate Mousse is rich which is why I like to pair this decadent dessert with Strawberries or Raspberries. The sweet, tart and tangy fruit will balance the rich mousse. It's also fun to add some chocolate shavings or curls on top too.
How to Serve
Serving Mousse can be so simple. Small portions are ideal. You do not want to over do it this rich chocolate dessert. Serve in a bowl or in a chocolate cup. It's also wonderful when piped onto a sugar cookie too. And don't forget it's wonderful as filling in a cake or cupcake.
More Chocolate Recipes
- Brownie Mix Cookies from Kathryn's Kitchen Blog
- Brownie Muffins from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Chocolate Caramels from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies from Palatable Pastime
- Chocolate Meringue Pie from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate-Covered Brownie Hearts from The Redhead Baker
- Easy Black Forest Bundt Cake from Blogghetti
- Easy Chocolate Mousse from Devour Dinner
- Easy Peanut Butter and Dark Chocolate Fudge from The Spiffy Cookie
- Easy White Chocolate Cranberry Coconut Bars from Family Around the Table
- Homemade Chocolate Syrup from Art of Natural Living
- Hot Chocolate Fudge from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Ice Cream Cake Roll from An Affair from the Heart
- Icebox Mocha Cake from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Orange Curd Brownies from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Pork Tenderloin with Chocolate Molasses Gravy from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Red Velvet Pancakes from That Recipe
- Starbucks White Hot Chocolate from The Fresh Cooky
- Valentine Treat Board from Magical Ingredients
- White Chocolate Blondies from Shockingly Delicious
- 1 ½ Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- ¼ Cup Dutch Process Cocoa
- ½ Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract (optional)
- Fresh Berries Strawberries, Raspberries
- Chocolate Shavings
- Holiday Sprinkles
- 1 ½ Cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- In a large mixing bowl using a hand mixer with a whisk attachment. Whisk Whipping Cream until stiff peaks form.
- Add cocoa powder and powdered sugar and Vanilla Extract (optional) and continue whisking until stiff peaks form
- Place Mousse in a piping bag with tip for a decorative piping swirl. Or use a gallon Zip-loc bag and snip corner.
- Serve in small bowl, on top of a cookie, inside cupcakes, or use as a filling in a Cake. You can also make a festive Chocolate cup using a Holiday Silicone mold.
How to make Chocolate Cups
- Place Dark Chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds.
- Stir. Mixture will have begun to melt but will still be firm chips.
- Heat for 30 seconds more and stir.
- If more time is needed heat for 15 seconds and stir and repeat if needed
- Add 1 ½ Tablespoons melted chocolate to silicone mold and using the back of a spoon cover all sides of mold making sure to coat edges and bottom. Add additional chocolate if needed.
- Chill in refrigerator or freezer for 10 mins.
- Add a light coating to chilled chocolate to thicken the chocolate cup making sure to coat to the top edge well.
- Chill in refrigerator or freezer for 10 mins
- Carefully remove chilled chocolate cups by first loosening top edge and then pushing up from the bottom with your fingers to pop the chocolate cup out of the mold.
- Store is a cool dry place until ready to use.
Chocolate mousse is one of my fave decadent desserts. The rich creamy flavor is always delicious to me!
This is delicious! With just three ingredients, I would love to make these often. Love this simple and chocolatey delicious recipe!
So happy to hear you loved it Radha!
This is just lovely--especially in the chocolate heart cup! Totally doing this! (In fact just ordered the mold--that's how excited I am!)
I love it! They are so fun to make and eat too
3 ingredients! Very cool and while you listed several ways to use this delightful mousse, pass me a spoon and the bowl!
You are my kind of friend!
This is the best chocolate mousse, and I love how it only requires 4 ingredients! I could eat this every day! It's so light, fluffy and everything I love in a chocolate mousse.
Hi Kathryn, It's a wonderful light and fluffy dessert
Chocolate Mousse is my mom's favorite. I can't wait to surprise her with some!
Love chocolate mousse in the first place (and thanks for reminding me how easy it is to make)! But the chocolate heart baskets really put this over the top. I am going to look for some for myself!
I have been looking for a super simple chocolate mousse recipe and this is it! Made these for my book club ladies last night and they loved them! Next step chocolate heart cups! LOVE!
This recipe is so so simple! Hope you love it
Love the little chocolate cups! Definitely need to put this on the to try list!
Your mousse looks so rich and creamy!
I'm all about the easy desserts! I'd love a bowl of this with strawberries on top!
That chocolate heart cup is to die for! What a gorgeous dessert!!!
Thank you! It's so fun and easy to make too
Love the chocolate cups to hold this light and fluffy mousse. I have the molds so I'm anxious to get cooking.
I hope you give it a try! It's so fun