Juicy tender Pulled Pork seasoned with the best Pork Seasonings and a rich BBQ Sauce is perfect for large groups and even better to enjoy after a long day away from home. The secret to my success is just a little planning and I'm going to share with you my tricks.
This post may contain affiliate links. Thanks for using my links! See my Disclosure Policy here.
This recipe will make the best pulled pork recipe if you ask me. We call it Dr Pepper Pulled pork because it uses Dr. Pepper of course! Some refer to as Pioneer Woman Pulled Pork but whatever you call it, it's juicy and tender shredded pork that is well seasoned and perfect to serve on sandwiches or a variety of other ways.
With any recipe there are a variety of ways to make and cook. I'll share my secret using a Crock Pot or Slow Cooker and make sure to check out the recipe card below for Instant Pot Directions too. For now, Dr Pepper pulled pork slow cooker is a winning recipe. Let me explain
There are days when I leave the house early and don't get home until just before dinner. With a house full of boys, everyone is HUNGRY as they walk in the door. So I plan an extra 15 mins in the morning to get this recipe thrown into the Crock Pot and set it to low.
Now I have a beautiful meal ready to enjoy for dinner. It's truly that simple. Let's break it down a bit more with exactly what I do. Okay?
How to make Pulled Pork?
In a bowl I mix together seasonings for a delicious rub. The measurements are down below in the recipe card, but I use Chili Powder, Paprika, Dry Mustard, Salt and Pepper and mix it together. You can also add a touch of cayenne too if you want some heat.
Then I rub the seasoning blend over the pork roast. Dice up an onion and place on the bottom of the Slow Cooker and place the seasoned pork roast on top.
Pour a can of Dr Pepper on top. Set it to low and walk out the door. Let this baby cook, slow and low for 8 hours. There will be plenty of juices from the roast.
After cooking all day, remove the roast and shred with 2 forks. It will fall apart. You can add it right back into all the juices if you wish, OR you can pull out about 1 cup of juices and add to the pork.
This is what I prefer. Then add BBQ Sauce. I love Sweet Baby Rays, but if truth be told I also really enjoy making my own BBQ Sauce too.
Mix it together and you are ready to make the best Pulled Pork Sandwiches ever.
How to Serve Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
I've got many pulled pork ideas for you. Do you love Coleslaw? Well let me tell you, adding a scoop of coleslaw to the top of this sandwich is ah-ma-zing.
Something about the sauce and the crunch from cabbage is delicious with the hot sweet pork. Some also love to serve on top of a delicious Homemade Macaroni and Cheese or even over a Baked Potato. Doesn't that sound delicious?
You might even try this fun recipe of adding pulled pork on a tostada with red onion and pineapple. Trust me here, it's fantastic! It's a great use of Leftover pulled pork.
Types of Pork Roast
When making slow cooker pork look for a good roast. They called be called by a variety of names so look for a Boston Butt Roast, Picnic Butt, Pork Butt, Pork Shoulder or a Shoulder Roast. I prefer a boneless roast but you can use a bone-in roast too.
How long to cook Pulled Pork Crock Pot Recipe
In this recipe I use a 3-4 pound pork roast and use the following guide as a measurement for cooking times. But keep in mind you can always cut the roast into smaller chunks to help speed up the cooking process.
- Low 6-8 Hours
- High 3-4 Hours
The roast should literally fall apart making it easy to shred and pull apart. If it doesn't, cook it a bit longer until it falls apart and it's absolutely delicious. Make sure to remove excess fat when shredding. It will be the best BBQ Pulled Pork you've tasted.
Variations and Substitutions
We all love to add our own flare to recipes, so let me tell you a few tricks we enjoy.
Adding a bit of brown sugar will sweeten up the recipe. You can add directly to the BBQ Sauce and add at the end. OR you can sprinkle on top of the roast before cooking and after you've added the seasoning rub. It's Yummy.
Add some heat with some Cayenne Pepper and it can't hurt to add some diced green chilies in the heat of your choice after shredding the meat too.
Pulled Pork Nutrition
BBQ Pulled Pork gets a bad wrap when it comes to nutrition. We just assume it's loaded with sugar, extra calories and carbs. Add an oversized bun and you've consumed an entire days worth of calories in one sandwich.
Try using a Zero Calorie soda. You still get the flavor without the sugar. And try a sugar free BBQ Sauce too. Pretty quickly you have changed a pulled pork sandwich calories without losing out on the taste you are looking for.
For more specific nutritional information and pulled pork calories and carbs in pulled pork check the recipe card below.
Types of Crock Pots / Slow Cookers
Crock Pots are a brand name. There are many types of Crock Pots and slow cookers that will do great jobs at slow cooking recipes. Regardless of the brand and how many functions they have, Slow Cookers and Crock Pots have one things in common. They cook recipes low and slow.
If you are looking for a slow cooker that has muti function buttons and presets try this Hamilton Beach Portable 6qt. But, if you want less of the gizmos and gadget functions and just a good solid Crock Pot with basic features then I suggest this 8qt Crock Pot
Welcome to our #NationalSlowCookerMonth Celebration!
January is National Slow Cooker Month and this week we are celebrating all things slow cooker! We have delicious recipes from across the country to fill your meal plans with delicious slow cooker recipes!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Bacon and Rice Soup from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken from Jen Around the World
- Slow Cooker Gingerbread Oatsfrom Magical Ingredients
- Easy Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings from Daily Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Ham and White Bean Soup from Blogghetti
- Slow Cooker Chicken Nachos from The Spiffy Cookie
- Slow Cooker Goulash from Palatable Pastime
- Slow Cooked Asian Chicken from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Crockpot London Broil from The Fresh Cooky
- Pan de Elote/Slow Cooker Corn Bread from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup from Life Love and Good Food
- Dr Pepper Pulled Pork from Devour Dinner
- Slow Cooker Salmon from Our Good Life
Dr Pepper Pulled Pork
- 3-4 lb Pork Roast - Pork Butt, Pork Shoulder Roast
- ½ cup onion
- 1 tbl garlic - minced
- 8-12 ounces Dr. Pepper
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- In a small bowl combine Paprika, Chili Powder, Dry Mustard, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper. Mix to combine
- How to cook Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
How to cook Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Dice Onion and place in the bottom on Slow Cooker / Crock Pot
- Rub Seasonings on a 3 to 4 pound pork roast making sure to cover all sides.
- Place roast in Crock Pot on onions and pour 8 to 12 ounces of Dr. Pepper over roast.
- Set Crock Pot to low and cook for 6-8 hours. Roast is ready when it falls apart with a fork.
- Remove roast from juices and reserve a cup to cup and a half
- Shred pork and add reserved juices. Stir in 1 cup of BBQ Sauce.
- Serve on bun with coleslaw for a delicious meal.
Instant Pot Cooking Directions
- Follow above directions for prepping and seasoning pork roast and place ingredients into Instant Pot liner. Pour Dr. Pepper over top of roast.
- Pressure Cook on High for 75 minutes allowing for a 25 minute Natural Pressure Release
- Reserve a cup to a cup and a half of liquid
- Remove roast and shred with forks. Add 1 cup of BBQ Sauce and reserved liquid.
- Serve on Buns with Coleslaw.
- TIP: If using a larger roast cut into 2 or 3 chunks to pressure cook.
Types of Pork RoastWhen making slow cooker pork look for a good roast. They called be called by a variety of names so look for a Boston Butt Roast, Picnic Butt, Pork Butt, Pork Shoulder or a Shoulder Roast. I prefer a boneless roast but you can use a bone-in roast too.
How long to cook Pulled Pork Crock Pot RecipeIn this recipe I use a 3-4 pound pork roast and use the following guide as a measurement for cooking times. But keep in mind you can always cut the roast into smaller chunks to help speed up the cooking process.
- Low 6-8 Hours
- High 3-4 Hours
All nutrition values are approximate and calculated by a plugin and are provided as a courtesy. Adding or subtracting ingredients will change the nutritional value.