In my home full of boys these Steak Bites were devoured before I could even get them to the table. The Honey Lime Steak Bites were a hit among my family of boys for sure! These steak bites were very simple to make and would make a good appetizer as well, that’s actually how they were eaten in my home. However would also be good served with rice and a good garden salad. Regardless of how they are served the tangy lime and the sweet honey give these steak bites a bit of zest and flavor that you will enjoy. I loved the light even flavor and how tender each bite was. Delicious!
In preparing the Honey Lime Steak Bites it takes only a few minutes to put the marinade together and of course the longer you have time to marinate the better, but even 30 minutes will do the trick! I think the key ingredient is the Chili Sauce as it gives an added spice with a little bit of heat without being hot. Combined with the sweetness of the honey and the tang of the lime and this marinade is wonderful with every bite of steak.
Cut up your steak in 1 inch cubes and add to your marinade. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes, however if you can let them marinate for 2-3 hours it’s even better. I don’t always plan enough ahead of such luxuries, and 30 minutes is about all I can give it in my busy lifestyle.
Heat your cast iron skillet over medium/high heat. Once your pan is hot use Olive Oil and swirl in the bottom. Place your steak bites in pan and you should hear a loud sizzle. If you don’t, then your pan is not hot enough. Let steak bites sear for about 1 minute and then turn with tongs and allow to sear on the other side for about a minute. Because your steak is all in bite size pieces, it won’t take long to cook your steak. If you prefer a more rare steak, then you will want to cook less time. A one minute on each side will cook your steak to a medium to medium well temperature.
Remove your steak bites and place any remaining marinade into pan. Allow to sizzle and cook through. It will bubble and caramelize quickly because of the honey. So watch it close. You may need to adjust your heat to a medium heat. Once it’s cooked through you can drizzle over the top of the steak bites and then sprinkle with lime zest as a garnish.
Honey Lime Steak Bites
- 1 pound Top Sirloin Steak Cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbs Chili Sauce
- 1 Tbs Honey
- 4 Tbs Lime Juice (2 juiced limes)
- 2 tsp Lime Zest Garnish
- Salt and Pepper to taste 1/4 – 1/2 tsp of each
- 2-3 Tbs olive oil
- In a bowl combine ingredients for marinade. Honey, Chili Sauce, Lime Juice, Garlic Powder, and Salt and Pepper.
- Cut steak into 1 inch strips and then cut strips into 1/2in bites.
- Put steak bites into marinade and toss to coat. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes but ideally 2-3 hours is best.
- Cook over medium to high heat in a cast iron pan with Olive Oil. Heat pan first then add olive oil. Once steak is added it should sizzle loudly. Cook for 1 minute and then turn bites over with tongs. Cook for additional 1 minute and remove from heat.
- In pan, add remaining marinade and allow to cook through stirring constantly. It will bubble and caramelize because of the honey so watch close so it doesn’t scorch.
- Pour cooked marinade over steak bites and garnish with lime zest.